No announcement yet.

Hagerman Segment B 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget your raincoat. Weather can turn in an instant. We went fromone nice day to the following day of 30+ mph winds with gust of 45-50 and 90% humidity on a B hunt I was on, to frozen tundra on the C hunt where folks couldn't climb trees to their stands they put up the dry day before because of the ice .

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      … oh I’ve seen some “setups”… lol

My thought has always been that set up day puts a HUGE gut punch to the place… for no reason other than not carry stuff the day of hunt. I personally (and I’ve never hunted the place) figured going to planned spots and getting last 100-200 in grey light. Set up in a complete un disturbed/ or less disturbed location and hunt.

I hear a lot of x-y distance of travel. That’s a lot of stink scatters around for no reason FOR SOME. obviously certain set ups require more … noise
      It is bad enough that people set up the day before and cut their shooting lanes and what not. Imagine the same number of people doing that in the dark.

Setting up the day before actually works better because you can get in, set up, and get out. There should be no need to walk around looking for a place, and stinking up the joint. All of that should have been done before hand.

It is accessable all year except for 9 days when hunts are going on. So if you havent found and prepped a spot by the thursday before your hunt, then shame on you.

Another advantage of setting up the day before is those who move around will push deer around, and sometimes to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Good to see y'all getting out there one more time.

I've basically second-guessed everything after I got drawn lol. Hopefully the two mock scrapes I put out in October have fresh sign. I believe I've narrowed it down to 4 specific spots that I am hopeful to sit at.
        I hear ya! I started to second guess myself, but know that I need to just stick with my plan that I spent several trips formulating and know that I have backups just in case.

I did see a pic of a buck that was taken that looks like one I saw at one of "my spots". Hope it wasn't!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

So on Thursday, do we need to check in prior to setting out stands out at 9:00, or can we check in at any time? I need to revisit that email...

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy3-17 View Post
            So on Thursday, do we need to check in prior to setting out stands out at 9:00, or can we check in at any time? I need to revisit that email...

Never mind. I found it. Check in first.

Comment

The reason for "check in" is in case you have an accident. Or are stuck in a "situation", where you can't get out. Then they will know to come look for you. And in what unit. That is also the reason for "check out" after set up, or at the end of the day. They have had to go look for people in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                The reason for "check in" is in case you have an accident. Or are stuck in a "situation", where you can't get out. Then they will know to come look for you. And in what unit. That is also the reason for "check out" after set up, or at the end of the day. They have had to go look for people in the past.
                I thought about that. Do you tell them where in the Unit you are, or just what unit? I guess a general area is better than nothing when searching for someone, huh?

Comment

Hagerman Segment B 2022

I thought about that. Do you tell them where in the Unit you are, or just what unit? I guess a general area is better than nothing when searching for someone, huh?

You only have to tell them what unit you are hunting. However if you are hunting by yourself you should let someone know where in the unit you are hunting, that way they can narrow their search efforts if something was to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by crek1311; 11-09-2022, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Never been but leaving a note on the dash of truck with hunting location might not be a bad ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by crek1311 View Post
                      You only have to tell them what unit you are hunting. However if you are hunting by yourself you should let someone know where in the unit you are hunting, that way they can narrow their search efforts if something was to happen.

They take your cell phone number so they might be able to track your exact location if your phone is on. A backup phone charger is a good idea on a day long hunt. You can call for help if your phone isn't dead, and you are not unconscious.

Comment

You guys are hitting it almost perfect “rut wise”. I live a county over and the bucks are starting to chase and with this cold front blowing in… I’m jealous lol

Comment

Originally posted by crek1311 View Post

I always share my location with my wife as soon as step into the woods, just in case. Google will track my location until I turn it off or the phone dies. I always carry a backup charging pack, as well.

Comment

Let me poll some of you...

During our hunt weekend, will you:
                            A) shoot the first legal buck you see
                            B) shoot the first "decent" legal buck you see
                            C) hold out for a chance at a bigger one
                            D) screw around with your phone or doze off and miss an opportunity of a lifetime!

Comment

Haha. Probably C on Friday, B Saturday, A Sunday, and D 24/7

The plan right now is to punch golden ticket asap. Would like to guarantee myself an extra 3 days as soon as I can. She gets a very small amount of time for me to check and see if she has a boyfriend behind her. Then it is game over for her.
                              Last edited by ctom87; 11-09-2022, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                                Haha. Probably C on Friday, B Saturday, A Sunday, and D 24/7

The plan right now is to punch golden ticket asap. Would like to guarantee myself an extra 3 days as soon as I can. She gets a very small amount of time for me to check and see if she has a boyfriend behind her. Then it is game over for her.
                                Agreed. Priority is doe for me. But if a big dude comes walking up, it's on!

Comment

Working...
                                X