How much is a cow & calf worth hit by a drunk driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I've thought about this before a lot when we had lots of hunters.
    If I shot a calf that the cattle guy was going to get $900 in a few months at the sale barn he would be far better off with me shooting and paying him $900. I'd think he'd be pleased if I shot them all as his work would be done. No hauling, feeding, counting, giving shots, etc.

Just cash up front. If they were my calves I'd say shoot them as soon as they're born and pay up.
    Lets not forget the yield of a 900 dollar calf vs. a 3000k deer

Comment

I bet if i hit one on a county road not one owner would step up and take responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
        I'd like to see what you would want if they were your cattle that got hit. Likely your stance would change.
        Exactly. Each one is a personal project that takes time, effort and some sweat equity

Comment

Deleted

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I bet if i hit one on a county road not one owner would step up and take responsibility
            Why not? Unless you can prove the cattle were habitually out and the owner made no effort to make repairs to keep the cattle enclosed it’s considered no different than hitting a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
              Why not? Unless you can prove the cattle were habitually out and the owner made no effort to make repairs to keep the cattle enclosed it’s considered no different than hitting a deer.
              Yeah that’s true, but it still doesn’t prevent any legal fees or insurance premiums

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                You wont get nearly as much as you think you should. And with no arrest or police report of a failed field sobriety test, who is to say he was drunk?

Market value and move on with life. No more short cuts through the ranch. Problems solved
                Yup.

Comment

understand trying to establish the value of the livestock for restitution. but nothing has been said about the punishment for the kid. Is the county sheriff involved?

Comment

Whatever you think should happen probably won't happen considering this kid's parents let him get away with this type of stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      Depends on what county you are in. If the county has open range law, you would have to pay for the animal.

Comment

I would be happy with an equal cow and calf plus about 1000.00 for me to find the replaced animals and get them delivered to my ranch.

Comment

Center punch the parent's in the taint for allowing it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                          X