A/c backed up in the unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/c backed up in the unit

My AC is draining out the outdoor drain which means that the line inside the house training into the drain under the sink is plugged up. I went up to the unit and poured water down the normal drain line and it drains into the sink downstairs. That means that the line is plugged up inside the unit. Any idea how to clear that blockage

CO2 from Lowes. Air compressor. Or Hydroflush kit from Lowes.

Comment

You can try close to boiling hot water. If that doesn’t help you can use a air compressor or a manual pump that you can work to push and pull both.

Comment

Shop vac using the wet vac part.. Vacuum everywhere you can find an opening for the drain. You’ll be surprised how much crap comes out.

Comment

I just shoo vac it and plugged the hose up top but it is still leaking through over flow

It's actually leaking though both the drains.

More inside the regular drain yhan out side.

I turned the overflow drain up some so the outlet was a higher than the regular drain to see if it would help

Seems like it might have helped. Is the top of the normal out let pipe supposed to be completely open or should it be partially taped so there is air pressure down

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my top vent cap is a removable pvc fitting. i have been told to monthly drop 1/2 cup to one cup of bleach to help clean it up, and i have also heard that a little vinegar helps clean those lines, but i do not recall which one can actually possibly harm or damage the lines it might run thru ?
              When it does clog up, i have used my air compressor and a air nozzle to help clear the lines.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                my top vent cap is a removable pvc fitting. i have been told to monthly drop 1/2 cup to one cup of bleach to help clean it up, and i have also heard that a little vinegar helps clean those lines, but i do not recall which one can actually possibly harm or damage the lines it might run thru ?
                When it does clog up, i have used my air compressor and a air nozzle to help clear the lines.
                This is what I have always been told but I am not diligent about doing it. I blow lines out with an air nozzle when it does get plugged.

Comment

Wet/dry shop vac. Just remember to remove the filter first.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfeeder01 View Post
                    Bleach can hurt the unit. It puts off chlorine gas that corroded metal. If you use bleach flush the drain with water afterwards.

Comment

I personally would cut the main drain line, then run a pipe cleaner (Or wire clothes hanger) into the unit (Not far, just deep enough that it goes into the unit), then tape the shop vac onto the cut line and suck all the junk out. Make sure there are no leaks between the shop vac and ac line. Then verify the flow has been restored, if not, repeat a few times. Then dry everything out, and seal the pipe back up. (I also bet someone is going to come along and say this is the worst idea ever. It worked at my house though.)

I'd bet the blockage is in the little section of pipe between your bleach/cleanout opening and the unit itself.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        I personally would cut the main drain line, then run a pipe cleaner (Or wire clothes hanger) into the unit (Not far, just deep enough that it goes into the unit), then tape the shop vac onto the cut line and suck all the junk out. Make sure there are no leaks between the shop vac and ac line. Then verify the flow has been restored, if not, repeat a few times. Then dry everything out, and seal the pipe back up. (I also bet someone is going to come along and say this is the worst idea ever. It worked at my house though.)

I'd bet the blockage is in the little section of pipe between your bleach/cleanout opening and the unit itself.
                        Thats exactly what i was thinking.

It was not leaking into the pan this morning, so not sure if sucking it out helped or turning the overflow 90 degrees helped.

does the main drain and the over flow Y in the unit?

Comment

You might also check under sink if you can access drain line where it taps into the sink

My previous house had the primary line plumbed to a bathroom sink. You could see it piped in & had a rubber hose connection that was tightened around a nipple extension above the p-trap of the sink. Over time kids brushing teeth & normal gunk would back flow into that rubber hose & harden
                          It was secured with a hose clamp
                          Id remove it & run a small snake clean out into it & gunk would fall out
                          That’s where mine plugged up & backed up one time

Comment

This above plus I wouldn't expect to have dripped overnight with the nighttime Temps we're having now

Comment

Working...
                            X