San Saba County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Saba County

Haven’t checked the cameras yet. Hope to make it out next weekend. How are the horns looking this year? Any good pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just lots of pigs…lol

Comment

Mine are not looking as good as last year. We were awful dry for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        Just lots of pigs…lol

You can say that again. And big pigs too.

As for the deer, all young so far. Not real sure where the older fellas are, but we’ve got some really nice up and comers that im hoping the neighbors wont shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have been running my cameras all summer long and have only seen some decent young bucks so far.

Comment

Only a couple decent bucks but that was a few weeks ago.

Nothing, not even pigs, hitting the feeders right now. The amount of green is amazing and persimmon berries are piling up all over also.

Over a month ago when they were all at one feeder. Don't see much anymore.

Comment

TONS of acorns. Corn should be pretty slow for a while.

Comment

We did see some acorns. I wouldnt say tons, but definitely every third oak tree had some small ones. Now one thing we did see a LOT of is doves. They are everywhere. To the point opening weekend of bow is going to turn into a dove shoot if theyre still there.

Comment

Just across the Colorado river in Mills county I'm disappointed in the over all mass of my few decent bucks. Racks are typical just not much mass.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                    You can say that again. And big pigs too.

As for the deer, all young so far. Not real sure where the older fellas are, but we’ve got some really nice up and comers that im hoping the neighbors wont shoot.

Our place is just to the south in Llano county and I haven't seen a buck over 2 years old since January. We fed protein over the summer but only got pictures of does and yearling bucks at the feeders. Normally, there are anywhere from 12-15 adult bucks utilizing the property at any given time. There wasn't a water source for 1.5 miles from May to August. Now every tank is full. Just this week I've been seeing deer back on camera but still no mature bucks. I'm hoping some of the neighbors just out fed and out watered us during the worst part Summer and that the rut will bring our bucks back. Our survey results were pretty dismal too. Fawn production only about 13% but I tend to think our surveys consistently underestimate fawns. Every year I turn in 50% or less fawn crop and as soon as deer season starts there are fawns everywhere.
                    Last edited by Sika; 09-16-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Our place is just to the south in Llano county and I haven't seen a buck over 2 years old since January. We fed protein over the summer but only got pictures of does and yearling bucks at the feeders. Normally, there are anywhere from 12-15 adult bucks utilizing the property at any given time. There wasn't a water source for 1.5 miles from May to August. Now every tank is full. Just this week I've been seeing deer back on camera but still no mature bucks. I'm hoping some of the neighbors just out fed and out watered us during the worst part Summer and that the rut will bring our bucks back. Our survey results were pretty dismal too. Fawn production only about 13% but I tend to think our surveys consistently underestimate fawns. Every year I turn in 50% or less fawn crop and as soon as deer season starts there are fawns everywhere.

About the same for us. Except I know both of our immediate neighbors werent really feeding at all. So im not sure whats going on with the mature deer. Hopefully they show up in November during the rut and stick around for next summers protein is all we can hope.

Comment

Definitely hope things get better. Cameras showed many young bucks but nothing with any age. Hogs gone wild for sure. Good look everyone!

Comment

Forgot to post this pic. They tore down the hog panels and were sleeping under the feeder. [emoji2357]

Comment

Bump

Comment

I’m headed out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X