Successful First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful First Elk Hunt

Year late in posting but wanted to share this lifelong memory.

Drew CO in 2021 for my first “western” hunt and I immediately got on the phone with my Dad to invite him along with me. Keep in mind my Dad was 69 years old last year, but he was 100% wanting to go when I asked him, even though he knew it was going to be an extremely challenging hunt with the terrain and elevation we were going to be hunting. After discussing with Dad we both agreed it was best for us to use a drop camp service to get us 5-10miles back into the woods as he has a bad leg and has had back issues. After we knew the camping area we would be dropped at for 10 days, the e-scouting and planning began.

Long story short-
    After putting in 6-8miles per day in God’s country, I didn’t see or hear an elk until day 8 and they were across a canyon from me about 3/4 mi away. That night I told Dad I was going to come up with a game plan to get close to those elk the next morning and I was going to have to go alone as it was 2-3miles away from camp and down some crazy narly terrain. After slowly working my way towards the elk I heard from day before, I started hearing bugles that were answering my cow call within 500yards. I had a bull come up to a small flat shelf I was calling from after a few minutes and it played out perfectly in my favor and he walked by broadside at 30yards and I drilled him. Crazy part is he didn’t go 15steps and he laid down 35yards away from me and expired! The pack out was brutal, one of the most challenging things I’ve endured. The quality time spent with my Dad in the mountains will be a memory I will never forget, the Elk was just a bonus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool. Seems like several folks are having some early season success.
    Congrats!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful country and a great memory shared with your dad.

Comment

Congrats! No elk for me this season but had fun chasing them. Awesome to have your dad along.

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

congratulations great story

Comment

Congrats! Great bull! Cool to share time with your Dad!

Comment

Great write up and great bull. Even better with your dad being there. You are blessed sir. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats!!!!!!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to both of y'all on a great hunt!

Comment

Congratulations!!, First elk hunt and successful one at that.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congratulations! Great write up and pics!

Comment

Man, thats a hunt of a lifetime getting to share it with your dad. Congrats on the kill !!!

Comment

Excellent hunt and trophy! So glad you took your dad!

Comment

Working...
                              X