Javelina tamales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javelina tamales!

So after several unsuccessful attempts at eating Javelina, I finally got it done.
    Step one, get yourself a Javelina. I tried eating a big boar years ago in tamales and it was a no go to put it politely. He stunk up the entire house in the crockpot and tasted like a skunks gland!
    For this recipe, I took a mid sized female with my longbow.
    I cared butcher this sow, careful with the hide and gland. I soaked the backstraps and quarters in an ice bath of apple cider vinegar and ice water for about 48 hours in a chest cooler. I boned the cubed meat out and cooked it in a crockpot in the garage as per the wife. Lol
    Next day I hand shredded the meat and made the tamale sauce (just winged it). I used red pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, chopped jalapeƱos and several other dried chili’s for tamales. Onion, cumin, salt and garlic among some others.
    Blended it all up and recooked it with the shredded Javelina.
    It looked so good I had to cook some up with eggs the morning I made tamales. It was surprisingly good and at that point I knew the tamales would be good too. Made the masa as per your favorite instructions.
    These turned out plain awesome!! I was originally going to make chorizo but several people recommended tamales so I gave it another go. In the meantime, I did a European mount and she turned out awesome. Looks way better in person.
    Next one I get is going in chorizo.
    My wife agreed that these are the best tamales we’ve ever made. Definitely was a chore but we take pride in cooking our wild game.
    Last edited by BillyJack1975; 05-21-2022, 09:37 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice, I’m gonna experiment this fall with one.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Looks amazing,,, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Would. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I’ve been taking my javalinas to Granny’s in Humble to have them converted into tamales. They always turn out great!

Comment

That looks good.

Comment

Honestly have never heard of someone cooking and eating them, but now I know how to. Thanks for sharing!
                  Great work on the Tamales and Euro!

Comment

I told ya!!!!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man that looks good!! Congrats on a beautiful euro and longbow javelina.

Comment

Great effort!!

Comment

Best tamales I ever had were from a nice sized javelina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely not.

Gimme a bite

Comment

Yep, that’s by far the best way I have found to eat them.

Comment

Working...
                              X