Heat exchanger going out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat exchanger going out

I had a a/c heat company come out. I was not there. They replace a thermostat. Did a inspection in the heater. He said the heat exchanger is going out and it had to be condemned. It is gas heat. Said that the air was blowing over the heat exchanger there was an escaping of air that was blowing it out. He did a air test that the air could be seen escaping the wrong area It has worked well in the past. No CO2 alarms
    This is a rent house
    It does need to be replaced so I'm in the process of getting bids to replace it. Just wondering if I turned it back on, had a couple of CO2 doctors right there at i, maybe even one in the verticle closet. This would alarm any risk

Do not turn it on.

If the heat exchanger has a hole or crack, the technician should have turned the gas valve off and tagged it “Do not operate “

Do not turn it on

Comment

Assuming the tech is correct I would not operate the unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Spoke with him and he said the problem is the smoke test that he performed. He sent me a video and when he sent a puff of smoke up, the smoke pushed back and he that air isn't getting into the exchanger

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How old is the furnace? That style of furnace typically has a 20yr heat exchanger warranty from almost any mfr. Getting the part might be a whole different story though.

Comment

There is no going bad. Either it’s good or bad. Once the heat exchanger gets a hole in it, you’re getting the burnt gas into the house. Carbon monoxide.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                Spoke with him and he said the problem is the smoke test that he performed. He sent me a video and when he sent a puff of smoke up, the smoke pushed back and he that air isn't getting into the exchanger
                Smoke test just means there wasn't a draft. Lil fishy to me.

Comment

If you cannot get a replacement exchanger, the heat exchanger can be silver soldered depending on how bad the crack is. Check you vent stack to make sure nothing is blocking it.

Comment

I agree with PYBUCK. It sounds like it could be a venting problem.

Comment

Call Marco with Airecool, 979-777-2520, 979-694-9645

Comment

He didn't say there wa sa hole just it wasn't drafting properly and the blown air was pushing some air out

Comment

That smoke should be going out through the flue pipe

Comment

Working...
                          X