• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
    A “ Row” of oak in Austin is $100 plus
    They let yall pollute the air like that in Austin that's amazing

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Comment

I do believe that buying in bulk and at normal times is best. My parents buy a cord maybe two every year. I personally have burnt as needed. When camping on a regular basis with the added weight of everything it was convenient to buy by the stack.Now I understand the need to be prepared I’m planning on purchasing by the cord for the future. Also consider many people may not have the storage capabilities of an entire cord on their property. But consider buying a steak at a steakhouse your purchase my equal to 30 maybe even $50 per pound per state but we do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Personally I would never buy firewood like that, but if there is a market and a guy can make a better margin, then more power to him

Curious what a 1/4 or 1/2 cord cost.

I also do not think most folks actually know how much a 1/4, 1/2 and full cord are
        I paid $100 for what I believe was between 1/4 and 1/3 cord of oak. But it was in Houston. This was a few weeks before the cold spell.

Comment

I also think a face cord or Rick can be misleading depending on how long the logs are.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
            Firewood in northern NM is the primary source of heat for a big portion of the population- particularly rural folks. Cords of mixed wood are often $150 delivered.

One unique smaller quantity ‘bundle’ is called a row. A row is the amount of split logs stacked across and to the top of the truck bed (at the tailgate). All wood cutters in NM use an old Toyota Tacoma. It’s $25 bucks.

I’ve often thought there could be decent money selling pinion wood here in central Texas. I couldn’t get the logistics to work out.

For New Mexico softwood/ pine or aspen
            “”Face Cord – Face cord of wood cost usually runs around $75. And they are typically forest firewood. You should expect that the cord measures 4 feet high x 8 feet long. The average length of each piece should run around 16 inches. So to convert the price to a full cord, you will have to divide its length into the length of a full cord which is 48 inches and multiply it by its cost. 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 16 inches (face cord length) = 3 x $75 = $225. So in total, forest firewood costs $225 per full cord.
            Stove Cord – Stove cord usually costs around $60. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And the average length of each piece run around 12 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 12 inches (stove cord length) = 4 x $60 = $240. So in total, stove cord will cost you around $240 per full cord.
            Furnace Cord – Furnace cord usually costs around $85. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And each firewood piece has a length of around 18 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 18 inches (furnace cord length) = 2.67 x $85 = $227. So in total, furnace cord will have full cord of wood cost around $227
            Are you still doubting about the size of a full cord? Here are some comparisons to put you in perspective.

The average weight of a full cord softwood runs around 2,500 lbs. On the other hand, a full cord hardwood can weigh around 5,000 lbs.
            The average length of a single firewood runs around 16 inches. And that is thirds of the width of a full cord.
            A small-sized pick-up vehicle or truck can carry around ½ of a full cord of wood. On the other hand, a large pick-up vehicle or truck can carry 1 full cord.””

Comment

A buddy and I spent all day Monday cutting and splitting some... we posted it for sale on our neighborhood Facebook page for $1 a piece..

Sold a hundred pieces... was told that they had been buying “stacks” 5-7 pieces for $25...

Comment

A “new” member posts a thread on firewood pricing which he (or she) obviously “claims to” know nothing about, during the middle of an energy, and most importantly, a heating crisis, but is griping about the price and quantity provided...

I’ll call bull****. This is texansfan, or Vermin, or several other grossly liberal and non-contributing member of TBH that is making yet another false profile to keep posting their liberal bull**** on this site. They want more usernames so they can keep posting their liberal talking points here

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                  A “new” member posts a thread on firewood pricing which he (or she) obviously “claims to” know nothing about, during the middle of an energy, and most importantly, a heating crisis, but is griping about the price and quantity provided...

I’ll call bull****. This is texansfan, or Vermin, or several other grossly liberal and non-contributing member of TBH that is making yet another false profile to keep posting their liberal bull**** on this site. They want more usernames so they can keep posting their liberal talking points here
                  Never said I didn't know anything about firewood. It just seems funny that up until this weather event you could find it for sale by the cord of fraction there of. But now all of a sudden everyone wants to sell it buy the stick or bundle. I'm as Redneck as they come. I just don't like people taking advantage of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
                    I also think a face cord or Rick can be misleading depending on how long the logs are.
                    My brother was wanting to buy some firewood a couple months back. We grew up knowing the term cord or ric. Used to burn my dad up when folks talked ric due to not being a true measurement. My brother found a place that was selling a cord of wood and told him I knew of a guy selling wood by the cord.
                    We drove out to his guys place and saw the pile and laughed (actually my bro was ****** off and I was the one laughing), was not a cord...not even close. The guy then brought up the term face cord when we called him on it. So I called the guy I knew of and he was selling the same garbage, told me a cord and when I asked dimensions got the truth.
                    Anyway, very big difference. I guess the part of east Texas I am in everyone calls a ric or face cord a cord.

Comment

About 7 years ago, a few months right before Christmas, lost my job. I own property full of red oak, so I cut firewood to give the kids a Christmas and make ends meet. Ended up cutting 20 cords that winter.

It cost me 1/2 a tank to get to back and forth from my property, used my tractor to pull logs out and get the wood back to my cabin. I split everything by hand with an axe, couldn’t afford a gas splitter...it was hard work. It was really hard work, especially for a 45 year old man.

I charged 200 for a half face cord, 400 for a full face cord, delivered.

Took me 3 days to complete a cord and get the wood back to DFW. For the amount of work I did, I felt like I was giving it away. Was I overcharging? Honestly don’t care, if people didn’t want to pay...they could absolutely go elsewhere.

My wood had a story, as it was intimate work. All the trees that I sold had died from the 2010 or 2011 drought. Each tree was cured standing and was harvested in an environmentally friendly manner. people ate that story up, it was mostly true.

Comment

Firewood is still the most efficient source of energy hands down.

1 It warms you up while cutting it
                        2 It warms you while splitting
                        3 It warms you while loading
                        4 It warms you while stacking
                        5 It warms you when you finally burn it

Comment

Originally posted by Gutpileaddict View Post
                          Never said I didn't know anything about firewood. It just seems funny that up until this weather event you could find it for sale by the cord of fraction there of. But now all of a sudden everyone wants to sell it buy the stick or bundle. I'm as Redneck as they come. I just don't like people taking advantage of the situation.

I’ve been seeing these $8-$10 bundles of wood at grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc long before this event. Not to mention the State Parks do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They sell it up here at all the convenience tires and grocery stores by the 5 piece bundle.
                            I cannot remember what they charge but its about $5 dollars a bundle. That may be low, I will have to look next time I go fill up with gas.
                            Very high priced IMO but if someone does not need it other than camping for a night or weekend, that's what they do. It is a pretty solid market up here.
                            Also, pine is the most abundant wood up here and that is what most people burn. I believe a full cord right nows goes for about $225.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by WyoBull; 02-19-2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                              I sold a half cord yesterday for $100
                              $100 for 1/2 cord is more than fair.
                              I cut my own wood and there is a huge amount of work involved.
                              My grandchildren were telling me a month ago “popo u got enough wood “
                              I told them I like to get 2-3 years ahead!
                              We burned a years worth in the last week.
                              When I use to sell wood people wouldn’t want any until it got cold!
                              I never could figure that out if you put it under a shed it will last for years.
                              Now I let a guy come cut the dead post oak and he gets $250/cord on a normal year.
                              There’s thousands of dead trees out there!

Comment

Here is a thought

Get yourself a saw, splitting wedges and a 16# hammer
                                Now go find a tree that you can cut up (may have to pay a farmer a little bit for it or you may be able to remove an unwanted one for free)
                                After you have cut, split and stacked a cord you let me know how you would sell it and for how much. Most people have no clue how much work is involved in cutting and splitting a cord of wood.

Years ago I had several trees die, bought a saw and a gas splitter and got to work.
                                Cut what I could use and sold excess for $120/cord delivered.
                                Did that for several years and paid for saw and splitter
                                No way I would do the same now

IF I was going to cut any now it would be to sell by the stack or $1/stick

Comment

Working...
                                X