All Terrain Tire and Size Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Terrain Tire and Size Help

So I'm giving my 15yo son my 2003 chevy 2500hd and he is trying to get it all fixed up before his birthday. I just had it leveled and added new shocks. Next step is tires and wheels. It has 285s on it but he wants to go a tad taller and wider and I have no idea. So what size tires can he run without issues on a 4x4 that is leveled and not lifted? Also I know he wants 20" rims. Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck all terrain would also be very helpful. I want him to have a good set of wheels/tires, but im trying to keep from sinking a ton of money in an older vehicle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My 05 had a level kit . I ran 285’s . But they were 16’s

Comment

you may be able to go up to a 305,,, or 33" they fit under my 07 ram 1500 with no lift but i would have a tire shop check it to be sure,,, I have used an like the Micky Thompson atz tires

Comment

Rams can fit huge tires! It’s hardly fair. I couldn’t fit 35s on my tundra without some trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          My 05 had a level kit . I ran 285’s . But they were 16’s
          I run 285/75r16s now and pre level with no rubbing issues. So if I go up to a 20 inch rim what tire size would be an inch taller and maybe 2 wider? He wants them to just barely stick out past his fender flares.

Comment

Find an online tire calculator and it will let you put in dimensions you want etc and spit out the answer in metric sizes.

Comment

I would stick with a 16inch wheel. As the tires are more affordable. Kids will tear stuff up with little try. The 285s are a great size for that truck. Just know the bigger the tire the harder on the front suspension components. The 16inch wheel gives a lot better ride Quality than the 20s. I know kids don't worry about that. Just my nickels worth of solicited answers lol.

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I too like the idea of staying with a 16" or 17" wheel, but im just dad and what do I know. Lol

Comment

Lot easier to bend a 20 doing dumb stuff.

Comment

20" tires cost more, they ride rough, less flex offroad. Anything over a 285 on tire is going to wear parts and suck gas. Unless he's paying for it all, I wouldnt go over 18" and 285.

Maybe spend the money on a nice brush guard, exhaust, tint, sound system, or something else he wants.
                    Last edited by toledo; 01-30-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                      I run 285/75r16s now and pre level with no rubbing issues. So if I go up to a 20 inch rim what tire size would be an inch taller and maybe 2 wider? He wants them to just barely stick out past his fender flares.

Maybe a 295 or 305 . I know 315 won’t fit with out close to 6 inch lift . They are almost a 35

Comment

I have 33/12.5/20 on my 04 Chevrolet, looks like I could go a little bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt79 View Post
                          I have 33/12.5/20 on my 04 Chevrolet, looks like I could go a little bigger

Do you happen to have any pics?

Comment

Make sure you understand the math.
                            All metric rated tires 285, 305, 315 get taller as the rim gets taller.
                            Tires shown in inch like 33, 35 are the same height no matter what time they are sized for.
                            285/75/16 = 32.8
                            285/75/20 = 36.8
                            35/12.5/16 = 35
                            35/12.5/20 = 35

Then you have to concern yourself with backspacing. To little and the tire will stick out to far. Too much and the tire will run suspension components. It is not just if the will fill the wheel wells.

I recommend calling a local 4*4 place to get opinion.
                            Last edited by hot_rod_eddie; 01-30-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                              Do you happen to have any pics?

Comment

Working...
                              X