X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Primers

I acquired some primers recently.
    Winchester Large Rifle and Magnum.

I looked at the primers and they are all discolored. There is a blueish tint to them. Some darker than others.

I’m assuming at some point they were exposed to moisture? Are they worth keeping?

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
    I acquired some primers recently.
    Winchester Large Rifle and Magnum.

I looked at the primers and they are all discolored. There is a blueish tint to them. Some darker than others.

I’m assuming at some point they were exposed to moisture? Are they worth keeping?

Anyone ever dealt with this?
    I have had Winchester primers discolor that have not seen moisture. Well, at least have not been "wet" other than perhaps humidity. Never has a problem with discolored primers. I had a dozen or so primers in a shirt pocket years ago that went through the washer and dryer. I put them on a window sill and they didn't tarnish at all. I threw them out but a friend told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Comment

Would hate to go through the trouble of loading rounds only to have a misfire.
      But then again, I’d hate to get rid of them and they still be good! Especially right now at this time.

Compared to CCI, those primers are all a solid gold color where as these are that blueish.

Will give them a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Smash one with a sledge.

Comment

I threw a few in a fire thinking they’d just pop like a firework.

Wrong! I thought I was getting shot at. They were popping and whizzing by me like a dang 22.

Comment

I am pretty sure I have seen Winchester primers that color and there was nothing wrong with them. Not sure the reasoning on the coloring. If you are worried about them load just some primers in some cases, no bullet, no powder, chamber them in your gun and drop the hammer on them, see if you get a nice loud bang.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
              I threw a few in a fire thinking they’d just pop like a firework.

Wrong! I thought I was getting shot at. They were popping and whizzing by me like a dang 22.
              And you did not film that, why?

Comment

I got some of that exact same thing large rifle magnum and they had like a blueish build up on them so much so that I had to wipe it off before loading and I set one on my tailgate and hit it with a hammer and it popped
                I loaded up some rounds and they worked great

Comment

I’ll buy them

Comment

I’ll take some pics when I get a chance.

Anyone have any currently with pics to compare?

Comment

Seat one in an empty casing(no powder or bullet), chamber it and pull the trigger.. Outside of course!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That’s not unusual with Winchester primers. Load them up and blast away.

Comment

Deep six works bait ya know

Comment

Brass cup primers will almost always discolor over time. Something about oxygen in the air and brass don't like each other.

Comment

Working...
                            X