AMAX bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMAX bullets

I ordered some Hornady Black .308 ammo the other night when I saw it available. It comes with the 168 grain AMAX bullet and the website had target and hunting listed as it's applications. After I ordered it I went to Hornady's website to read about it. They say it is a match/target round.

I went to some other gun forums and general consensus was the AMAX could be used for medium game but expanded quickly a short ranges.

Has anyone had any experience using the AMAX 168 gr .30 cal. Bullet on game and what did you think?

Took my buck this year with my 308 and a 168 gr A-Max at 110 yards. A piece of his heart a little bigger than a golf ball fell out of the exit wound.
    Last edited by highspeed; 01-10-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Shot a 250lb pig at 125yd with a 308 155gr AMAX and he dropped straight down.

Comment

I’ve shot a few deer with 168gr AMAX they dropped dead. I’m waiting for my order of them to come in. Only have a few left but plenty of coreloks.

Comment

I think they perform about like the old tried and true Remington el cheapo cor-lokt bullets do.

Comment

Use them in my Grendel and the Amax has outperformed the SST

Comment

Been hunting with the 155 amax for many years. Have made kills out to 584 yds with most being DRT. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt hogs or any deer species with the 168gr.

Comment

Shot many deer and hogs with 178 amax in 308. Awesome hunting round. Shot pigs head on and it destroys their insides, like a bomb went off internally.

Comment

Shot many deer and hogs with the amaxs in many calibers no complaints here.

Comment

terrible terrible bullet for deer-- I will buy everyone of the defective rounds off ya!!

The 168 AMAX (and now ELDM) is an AWESOME bullet, especially at 308 velocities for deer, antelope, pigs, etc!!

I even harvested a cull Red Stag at 75yds-- 1 round through the lungs (wasn't gonna try to send that bullet through the shoulder) and he stopped, wobbled and tipped over about 15 seconds later.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all. I have heard that it disenegrates when it hits shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                        Thanks for the feedback all. I have heard that it disenegrates when it hits shoulders.
                        You won't have a problem with a deer shoulder-- but a big hog, stag, elk and I would avoid big bones.

Comment

I guess I’m the exception. Shot a buck at 80 yds. Bullet splattered on the ribs. Still hit him hard enough to kill, but I’ll pass on using them for deer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                            I’ve shot deer and pigs with the 168 AMAX out of a .308 Win. I would not take a shoulder shot on a whitetail with one and especially not on a hog. I think it’s a neck and heart/lung bullet only. In fact, I’ve switched to the 165 SST to get more penetration (but I also love Barnes TSX). They shoot to the same point of impact as the 168 AMAX at hunting ranges and give much more penetration.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                              I guess I’m the exception. Shot a buck at 80 yds. Bullet splattered on the ribs. Still hit him hard enough to kill, but I’ll pass on using them for deer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What caliber?

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Working...
                              X