New Arrow Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Arrow Setup

So, I have a friend of mine (he goes by TexKing on here) who shoots 2” fletching on his arrows. He likes to go outside the box some, and also shoots a fixed crawl.

Anyway, I’ve watched him shoot and hunt with those 2” feathers with great success.

I just switched to .400 spine Widowmaker shafts when I got my new Primal Tech longbow, and I’m really impressed with them. I’ve always known that a well tuned arrow doesn’t need as much fletching to keep it in line. On a whim, I decided to give the 2” feathers a try also. Man, they are awesome. Perfect flight, should have gained just a tad speed, should be less effected by wind, and should be quieter. I can find no downside to using the 2” unless the arrow is not tuned well, or the shooter does not have very consistent form!

Here’s a few pics of my new arrows:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that broadhead flight is perfect too!!!! They are in my quiver, ready to head to the blind in just a little bit!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM.

Make em turn those new feathers red.

Gary

Comment

Good luck! Was curious about trying those. Prob helps increase foc as well. I'm headed south now. Hope to get there in time to sneak in for a short sit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been running 4-3” tradvanes since early August. I never realized how loud feathers are flying through the air until I started shooting these. I’m interested to see if they help with deer ducking.

Comment

These are still feathers, but I’d bet my bottom dollar that 8” of total feathers is quieter than 12” of total feathers!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Woah! You're going all space age on us Bisch!

On a more serious note, I tried the same thing this summer. It revealed a slightly stiff tune when I put my broadheads on. You definitely need to be dialed in with bareshafts to make this work. I also had some clearance issues off my bow shelf. I need a bit more of a raised rest to make this work for me.

It's on my to do list this fall to retune with some vanes, to see how quiet I can get my arrows flying.

Comment

Bisch, this friend of yours sounds like a genius!
              And humble too!

For background, I switched about 3 seasons ago when I started filming my hunts
              (GoPro, the shot for shot placement recaps only)
              Only then did I realize how many of my misses were due to ninja moves, and when breaking down frame by frame convinced it was the approaching arrow causing most of the reaction, not bow sound.

I went 3-3”, wasn’t crazy about the sensitivity of it with my crappy release, then 4-2” and 4-3”...

Even when wet I feel like they are still capable of stabilizing, much less chance of brushing them when on stand.

Comment

So you prefer a four fletch vs three?

Gary

Comment

Yes, you are a genius in your own mind!!!!! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Bisch

Comment

That's awesome.

Just an FYI - Unless they've recently changed the rule, that fletching will be illegal for IBO.

Last I checked it was a minimum of 4" individual fletch, with a minimum combined length of 12".
                    That means a 3 X 4" is the minimum of what you can use.

Rick

Comment

And TBOT?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        And TBOT?

Gary
                        No problem in TBoT shoots!

And, for what it's worth, I just looked up the IBO rules, and there are only 3 classes that have the 4" rule; Modern Longbow, Recurve, and Senior Trad

Bisch
                        Last edited by Bisch; 10-20-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          For what it's worth, I just looked up the IBO rules, and there are only 3 classes that have the 4" rule; Modern Longbow, Recurve, and Senior Trad

Bisch
                          That makes zero sense to me. Restrict all those classes with fletching rules, yet let the hunter class do what they want.

I LOLed real hard on that one.

I love the IBO, especially the trad side of it, but some of these rules are "weird" to say the least.

Rick

Comment

Very nice Bisch!

Comment

New Arrow Setup

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                              I love the IBO, especially the trad side of it, but some of these rules are "weird" to say the least.

Rick

I totally agree!!!! I have not tested the rule. Just read the rules, and the 3 classss I mentioned above are the only 3 that say you must have 4” feathers.

And, I am petitioning the powers that be for a clarification on this.

Looks like the new rules will have some revisions! 8” minimum in some classes. I’m still waiting on a final word though!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-20-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X