Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #101
SmTx
Pope & Young
 
SmTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Marcos/Hempstead
Hunt In: Jim Wells
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
XQ30 is only part of the model name. Give us the rest.
Gotcha. I'll have to swing back by to get the rest. I just glanced and thought about it after

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #102
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

35Rem is right there is the Quantum Lite XQ30V monocular ($1,899), the Helion XQ30 monocular ($2,499), the Core RXQ30V rifle scope ($1,899) and Trail XQ30 rifle scope ($2,799). All but the Core RXQ30V have been discontinued. I suspect thatís the optic you saw. If itís in good condition, $1,500 thatís not a bad price.

Just be aware used thermals do not carry the manufacturerís warranty, no matter what someone tells you. There are some slight exceptions when itís an authorized dealer selling a demo, open box etc. This doesnít mean you shouldnít buy used, but just like buying any used electronic item, buy it cheap enough that if it dies tomorrow it was worth the risk. There are lots of good used thermals out there just get a good price on it.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #103
mudkat
Eight Point
 
mudkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: spring
Hunt In: rusk county
Default

Hey Jason , I have a FLIR scout 320 right now how much better is the new pulsar Axium ? 30 or 38 ? Is it worth selling mine and upgrading when available ?
I know there's no comparison between my pulsar xq38 scope and the FLIR
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #104
AnnaWillson
Nubbin' Buck
 
AnnaWillson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Hunt In: California
Default

Photos and trophies are impressive. Modern equipment of the weapon allows you to hunt a miracle!
AnnaWillson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #105
nchunter
Six Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Default





Knocked down 4 this weekend. All but one were in complete darkness.
Love the pulsar unit Jason sold me last summer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #106
ZachW
Four Point
 
ZachW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Lindale
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Buy a thermal and you will sell those ASAP
I would've went with a thermal in the first place but I'm on a tight college budget.
ZachW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #107
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
Hey Jason , I have a FLIR scout 320 right now how much better is the new pulsar Axium ? 30 or 38 ? Is it worth selling mine and upgrading when available ?
I know there's no comparison between my pulsar xq38 scope and the FLIR
It's hard to say since I haven't been in the field with the Axions yet. Until I get my hands on them, I'm really hesitant to compare them head to head with another handheld.

Do you have the Scout II or the Scout III?

If you forced me to make a guess of how they will compare, no matter which Scout you have, I believe the Axion will be better for several reasons. #1, they will be 12 microns, #2 they will have larger objective lenses and #3 and the biggest, they will have optical magnification. The Scouts are all 1x, with no optical magnification and this kills their ID and detection ranges. I'm not saying they are bad at all, I'm just comparing them to what I see on paper with the Axions.

I hope that helps. We will know all the facts in the next couple months I hope.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #108
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
Knocked down 4 this weekend. All but one were in complete darkness.
Love the pulsar unit Jason sold me last summer.
Thank you so much for the kind words! Looks like you've been giving them heck, keep up the good work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachW View Post
I would've went with a thermal in the first place but I'm on a tight college budget.
Lots of people are on tight budgets and I know guys with digital NV that kill more hogs and coyotes than the vast majority of thermal owners ever will. It just depends on how bad you want to kill them and how hard you're willing to work. Thermal is nice but it's not for everyone.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #109
justicetx
Four Point
 
justicetx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Hard for them to hide from my pulsar NV
Attached Images
 
justicetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #110
dustoffer
Pope & Young
 
dustoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seguin, Tx
Hunt In: S/Central Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
Thanks! that sounds good to have zoom that way !
One thing I'm on the fence for the rifle scope style of thermals is it going to be like a regular scope that the crosshairs are always on the gun canted to one side or the other LOL!.
On my XQ50 they are just a bit canted but I can live with it---ain't benchrest shooting.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #111
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Hey fellas I know a lot of y'all have heard of Glenn Guess from Hog Zombies on Youtube and Facebook. Glenn is best known for being one of the few people in the country who has the ability to regularly and skillfully call in hogs. Hans and I sat down with Glenn on The Late Night Vision Show last week for an interview. Glenn offered us a ton of great info and we ended up having him stick around for a second interview. Part 2 will be 100% dedicated on how to call in hogs, including strategy, what calls to use etc. You will not want to miss that episode either.

Check out Part 1 of the podcast below. You can also find the audio only version on any podcast app.

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #112
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

That dude is salt of the earth. What a humble guy for how much he knows. Great episode.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #113
yotethumper
Ten Point
 
yotethumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

Decided I would get one of the new sightmark wraiths, going to put it on a little suppressed 22lr setup and use it for rabbits and coons. If its anything like the photons it should be good. Didn't want to mess with moving the Pulsar NV off my coyote/hog grendel. I know lots of people love QD setups but it's not my cup of tea, Murphy's law and I have a close relationship and QD is just another variable.

Last edited by yotethumper; 03-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #114
WTJim
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default

Yup, Wraith 4K on order from my Sightmark Rep...
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #115
Lip
Ten Point
 
Lip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Wherever
Default

Jason, I recently bought a Sig Virtus 300 BLK. I've heard you say what bullets you shoot a couple of times but don't remember and don't want to dig through 45 episodes to find it . I know Jason shoots the "hog pellets"
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #116
kkp005
Eight Point
 
kkp005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

https://youtu.be/ckVAcwZlKZc

Called in this hog from about 400 yards out the other night
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #117
yotethumper
Ten Point
 
yotethumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Jason, I recently bought a Sig Virtus 300 BLK. I've heard you say what bullets you shoot a couple of times but don't remember and don't want to dig through 45 episodes to find it . I know Jason shoots the "hog pellets"
Maker makes the best bullet for the 300 blackout no contest IMO. If you reload I highly recommend you work a load up with that bullet.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #118
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Jason, I recently bought a Sig Virtus 300 BLK. I've heard you say what bullets you shoot a couple of times but don't remember and don't want to dig through 45 episodes to find it . I know Jason shoots the "hog pellets"
Well I highly suggest the "hog pellets" but I know they are limited supply. If you're looking for an affordable .300blk round that flat out gets the job done, I'm sold on the Remington 120gr OTFB. They are a good price and my understanding is it's a Barnes bullet, Barnes brass and this isn't confirmed but I've heard it said that Barnes actually makes it for Remington. Not sure on that part.

It's not necessarily a hunting round but the results I've had on all the hogs I've shot have been outstanding. I'm normally a Hornady guy but I've had better luck out of this than any of the more affordable Hornady rounds. Again, to each their own, there is a lot of great .300blk ammo out there now days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yotethumper View Post
Maker makes the best bullet for the 300 blackout no contest IMO. If you reload I highly recommend you work a load up with that bullet.
I agree. If you're hand loading and want the best, the Makers are insane. They aren't cheap at about $1.70 for the bullet alone but they are the real deal. I just shoot too much to justify it but man that bullet does some amazing work.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #119
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
https://youtu.be/ckVAcwZlKZc

Called in this hog from about 400 yards out the other night
Very cool, that sucker came in on a string!

For other folks who want to learn more about calling in hogs, our latest episode of The Late Night Vision Show is live and we had Glenn Guess on again and this time he offered up a step by step, how to guide on calling in wild hogs. Hans and I bought the Convergent callers and we've been using his techniques for a couple weeks and it's insane the success we've had. I had no idea you could really call hogs like this.

I'm so convinced on this that I just became a dealer for Convergent callers on Friday.

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #120
Russ81
Pope & Young
 
Russ81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brazoria Co.
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I'm so convinced on this that I just became a dealer for Convergent callers on Friday.



EP. #45 GLENN GUESS | HOW TO CALL IN WILD HOGS!!! - YouTube

If you get an angry letter from my wallet donít say I didnít warn ya!

The bullet is on my shopping list as well, like Glenn said it works best thru convergentís speaker. Iíve tried with my wet sounds bar and only got two song dogs to come in about 300yds and stop


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #121
yotethumper
Ten Point
 
yotethumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Yes sir! As soon as I get the Wraiths in my hands and get in the field with them, there will definitely be a side by side comparison. We will discuss it in depth on The Late Night Vision Show podcast and on separate YouTube reviews.
Ready for the YouTube comparison video, just saw that Sightmark shipped the first batch today. Is your YT channel called Late Night Vision Show? Will sub so I wont miss this.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #122
bloodstick
Ten Point
 
bloodstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Hunt In: All over Texas
Default

Got to play around with an ATN Thor HD 2-8x25 sitting on a custom built 450 bushmaster. Lots of fun. This was a loaner from the friend that i invited out. He was using the Thor 4.5-18x55 which he could see heat signatures nearly twice as far as i could. The 450 and 6.8spc put them down. Now iím in the market for a comparable thermal optic myself.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #123
Aggiebowhunter03
Eight Point
 
Aggiebowhunter03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellville
Hunt In: Junction
Default

Got my Sightmark Wraith in on Friday. I haven't shot the rifle yet with it but the optics are great, especially for $500. Check this out. I am at 250 yds with my dog. Before I come into the frame, a critter runs off at 330 yds. This is with the stock IR illuminator.
Aggiebowhunter03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #124
BCBHunter712
Eight Point
 
BCBHunter712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Hunt In: Northeast, Texas
Default

Nice
BCBHunter712 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #125
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebowhunter03 View Post
Got my Sightmark Wraith in on Friday. I haven't shot the rifle yet with it but the optics are great, especially for $500. Check this out. I am at 250 yds with my dog. Before I come into the frame, a critter runs off at 330 yds. This is with the stock IR illuminator.
Sightmark Wraith 251 yds - YouTube
That high-quality of an image for that price at 250 yards is unbelievable. I'm placing an order today based on your video. My Trail thermal doesn't even look that good (of course it has other advantages that the Wraith does not, but still . . . *****!).

Jason, call incoming!
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #126
Fordnandez
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Round Rock, TX
Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX
Default

Got a coyote this evening with my Pulsar digital night vision. Called it in with a fox pro with the nutty nuthatch playing.
Attached Images
 
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #127
GregO
Eight Point
 
GregO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cedar Park
Default

My Sightmark Wraith video. It's a long one, which is really unusual for me, but has some good info.
Purchased from outdoorlegacygear.com

GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #128
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
My Sightmark Wraith video. It's a long one, which is really unusual for me, but has some good info.
Purchased from outdoorlegacygear.com

Sightmark Wraith unboxing, mounting and tips - YouTube

Greg, thank you SO much for the shout out. That's a great video and I appreciate you taking the time to make it!

Here is our full review on The Late Night Vision Show and I'll be doing my hands on video review for my Youtube channel soon as well.

Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #129
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

I almost forgot! I need to give a quick update on the availablity of the Sightmark Wraith HD's.

This update is being posted on April 7, 2019, anything can change in the future.....

There are absolutely no Wraiths available on any Sightmark dealer's shelf in the US. This was a complete sell out for Sightmark and most every full time NV dealer was pre-sold out as well. The next shipment of Wraith HD's are scheduled for July. Between now and then, do not expect to find them anywhere. And guess what....Sightmark has already sold out again for that shipment!

I'm still taking pre-orders for the July shipment as of typing this but I expect to cut off the guaranteed delivery for that shipment within the next couple days. The popularity has been off the charts for the release of any NV or thermal scope I've ever seen. The good news is we expect shipments to start coming in monthly starting in August so supply will hopefully be better in the fall. I guess we'll have to wait and see though!

Oh and hae the Convergent electronic callers in stock now and ready to ship!

Convergent HP Bullet - Caller only

Convergent Bullet HP Kit
Attached Images
 
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #130
GregO
Eight Point
 
GregO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cedar Park
Default

I have a second video on the Wraith, from the perspective of a night vision novice. This one has day and night video captured by the scope. I am looking forward to additional footage and information from the professionals.

GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #131
bartosh317
Eight Point
 
bartosh317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Smithville
Hunt In: Smithville
Default

Any word on the thermion yet??
bartosh317 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #132
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young
 
Sticks&Strings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia, TX/ Kinney& sometimes Leon
Default

What is the opinion on the trijicon reap-ir?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #133
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
I have a second video on the Wraith, from the perspective of a night vision novice. This one has day and night video captured by the scope. I am looking forward to additional footage and information from the professionals.
Greg you're awesome! Loving your videos, keep up the good work!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:50 AM   #134
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosh317 View Post
Any word on the thermion yet??
It's still scheduled for a July/August delivery. I won't be surprised if some of the models show up sooner than that. We'll just have to wait and see. I expect the XM30 to be one of the latter models to ship, although it's definitely the most pre-ordered model.

As soon as they start shipping we will be doing reviews on The Late Night Vision Show and I'll be doing reviews on my Youtube channel.

- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 AM   #135
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
What is the opinion on the trijicon reap-ir?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I own a REAP-IR and I really like it. (I'll actually make someone a really good deal on it if anyone is interested) The REAP is a tried and true scope and it's definitely the most popular Trijicon model because of the size, weight and magnification level. The image quality is exactly what you'd expect from a Trijicon.

The other scope to consider is the new N-Vision Halo and Halo LR. They are using the exact same BAE 640 12 micron thermal core as Trijicons but N-Vision squeezed a slightly better image out of that thermal core, which is pretty hard to believe because the Trijicons have an amazing image quality.

If you're looking for the absolute best image quality and ID range on the consumer market, there is no question or argument, Trijicon and N-Vision win hands down.

Holler any time if you have more questions.

- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #136
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I own a REAP-IR and I really like it. (I'll actually make someone a really good deal on it if anyone is interested) The REAP is a tried and true scope and it's definitely the most popular Trijicon model because of the size, weight and magnification level. The image quality is exactly what you'd expect from a Trijicon.

The other scope to consider is the new N-Vision Halo and Halo LR. They are using the exact same BAE 640 12 micron thermal core as Trijicons but N-Vision squeezed a slightly better image out of that thermal core, which is pretty hard to believe because the Trijicons have an amazing image quality.

If you're looking for the absolute best image quality and ID range on the consumer market, there is no question or argument, Trijicon and N-Vision win hands down.

Holler any time if you have more questions.

- Jason
No doubt. I love mine, but the HALO looks great also

Can you explain the Sightmark and all these lower end models coming out in a detailed post? Some of them look good for their price point...... almost too good

Thanks in advance
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #137
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Can you explain the Sightmark and all these lower end models coming out in a detailed post? Some of them look good for their price point...... almost too good

Thanks in advance
Lololol The Force is pulling you to the Dark Side! Come on over, the water is fine (and we don't have to use our cell phones to record videos of our MDVRs playing videos in order to #DoItForTheGram).
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2019, 12:34 AM   #138
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
......
Can you explain the Sightmark and all these lower end models coming out in a detailed post? Some of them look good for their price point...... almost too good

Thanks in advance
Sure thing. Basically what's happening is this....these digital sensors are improving at a rapid rate and they are becoming very cheap to make. Sightmark has put a really good 1080p HD sensor in their new Wraith scope and put a good quality 50mm objective lens on it, coupled with a very good stock IR illuminator and what you end up with is a pretty amazing digital NV scope for $499. It's really pretty crazy. I have video that I'll be releasing where you can clearly make out hogs at 250 yards exactly and you can see the white hog black spots vs the solid black hogs. It's very impressive!

I've used the Photons since the original model came out in 2014 and it was a ground breaking scope that completely changed the course of the NV hunting world and industry. They get absolutely no credit it for it but they were doing this a year before ATN got on board with their first X-Sight.

ATN has been trying for 4 years to do what Sightmark just did on their first attempt. And that's build a full color HD daytime optic while having really good HD night time image quality and throwing in some features like video recording. Sightmark has managed to keep the Wraith very simple, user friendly but still having enough features to keep most of the general public happy. I'll be honest about this, I dread the day (and I'm sure it's coming) when they release a new model of the Wraith that has a smart phone app. Those sort of features cause more customer service phone calls and inquiries than ALL other features or problems combined.

So at the end of the day, these digital NV optics keep getting better and better and that is the exact reason that Gen 1 NV is dead and Gen 2 and Gen 3 are essentially dead in the hunting community. They just can't compete on price and yes Gen 3 is a whole lot better than something like the Wraith but the question is, is it $3,000+ better? Thermal on the other hand offers a whole different set of benefits that digital NV can never compete with.

These really good digital scopes like the Wraith are going to do what the Photon has been doing for years....bringing more and more first time NV hunters into the market, getting them hooked and many will become thermal owners over the years as the prices of thermal comes down and the quality goes up.

I hope that helps a little.

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #139
GregO
Eight Point
 
GregO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cedar Park
Default

My latest with the Sightmark Wraith.
Hunting footage, with shots fired!!!

GregO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #140
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Sure thing. Basically what's happening is this....these digital sensors are improving at a rapid rate and they are becoming very cheap to make. Sightmark has put a really good 1080p HD sensor in their new Wraith scope and put a good quality 50mm objective lens on it, coupled with a very good stock IR illuminator and what you end up with is a pretty amazing digital NV scope for $499. It's really pretty crazy. I have video that I'll be releasing where you can clearly make out hogs at 250 yards exactly and you can see the white hog black spots vs the solid black hogs. It's very impressive!

I've used the Photons since the original model came out in 2014 and it was a ground breaking scope that completely changed the course of the NV hunting world and industry. They get absolutely no credit it for it but they were doing this a year before ATN got on board with their first X-Sight.

ATN has been trying for 4 years to do what Sightmark just did on their first attempt. And that's build a full color HD daytime optic while having really good HD night time image quality and throwing in some features like video recording. Sightmark has managed to keep the Wraith very simple, user friendly but still having enough features to keep most of the general public happy. I'll be honest about this, I dread the day (and I'm sure it's coming) when they release a new model of the Wraith that has a smart phone app. Those sort of features cause more customer service phone calls and inquiries than ALL other features or problems combined.

So at the end of the day, these digital NV optics keep getting better and better and that is the exact reason that Gen 1 NV is dead and Gen 2 and Gen 3 are essentially dead in the hunting community. They just can't compete on price and yes Gen 3 is a whole lot better than something like the Wraith but the question is, is it $3,000+ better? Thermal on the other hand offers a whole different set of benefits that digital NV can never compete with.

These really good digital scopes like the Wraith are going to do what the Photon has been doing for years....bringing more and more first time NV hunters into the market, getting them hooked and many will become thermal owners over the years as the prices of thermal comes down and the quality goes up.

I hope that helps a little.

Jason
Thanks for the write up and explanation. I do agree, these people spending $500-800 on NV will become thermal people after they fall in love with night hunting.

I just don't see this being any better or worth saving the money over an XQ 38 for under 3k or XQ50 for under 3400.

I have never been a fan of NV tho, while some people love it.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #141
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point
 
Balcones_Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Henly
Default

Yeah, I disagree. If you're shooting pigs within 150 yds from a fixed position (like at a feeder), A sightmark and a good IR flashlight is more than adequate forever. Hundreds of pigs have met their demise that way.

Just like an expensive, high quality day scope, a thermal is just better than a sightmark. The pigs glow in the dark - it feels like a cheat code.

If you're going to be walking the ranch spot-and-stalking pigs, you'll be better off with a thermal. If you want to take long shots I'm disappointed with both (unless you're okay shooting at a smudge of dots).
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #142
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
Yeah, I disagree. If you're shooting pigs within 150 yds from a fixed position (like at a feeder), A sightmark and a good IR flashlight is more than adequate forever. Hundreds of pigs have met their demise that way.

Just like an expensive, high quality day scope, a thermal is just better than a sightmark. The pigs glow in the dark - it feels like a cheat code.

If you're going to be walking the ranch spot-and-stalking pigs, you'll be better off with a thermal. If you want to take long shots I'm disappointed with both (unless you're okay shooting at a smudge of dots).
Very well said! For a single pig in a stand the cheap NV will work fine.

I remember those days with my Sniper Hog Light
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #143
coachwhip
Eight Point
 
coachwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nocona, Texas
Default

Here is a different take on the night vision hunts, a couple of my neighbors have had problems with beavers in their ponds so Saturday night I ventured out to help solve the problem! One note a shot beaver will sink like a rock so not many LDPs but looks ike the problem is almost solved!
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.46.20 AM.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2310.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.45.39 AM.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  17.9 KB
Video Link
https://youtu.be/YPv14JltcsY
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #144
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Good work!
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #145
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Hey Coachwhip, great pics! Oh and I see you get to wear gloves but your daughter has to go bare handed.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #146
Rotney
Ten Point
 
Rotney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Allen TX
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Archery View Post
Biggest Bobcat to date.
Getting this guy mounted.
https://youtu.be/-MgKbx9v-tg

Good job Ed
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #147
coachwhip
Eight Point
 
coachwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nocona, Texas
Default

Thank you Jason, she is not your typical girly girl! We have also been calving out this spring with too many coyotes around, so here is a compilation of several hunts.
Name:  IMG_2251.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2250.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  230.5 KB
Video Link
https://youtu.be/03F9lTZ1Z3Q
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #148
ATXArcher
Eight Point
 
ATXArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Burnet
Default

Well...I didn't hear my name called when I listened to the podcast this morning, so I went ahead and got on the waiting list for the Wraith!!!
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #149
sureshot
Six Point
 
sureshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Creek TX.
Hunt In: Bastrop, Jackson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXArcher View Post
Well...I didn't hear my name called when I listened to the podcast this morning, so I went ahead and got on the waiting list for the Wraith!!!
Just got on the Wraith list myself.
sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #150
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXArcher View Post
Well...I didn't hear my name called when I listened to the podcast this morning, so I went ahead and got on the waiting list for the Wraith!!!
Haha! Sorry guys, I think we disappointed several hundred people that didn't win the Sightmark Wraith giaveway.

Thanks for listening/watching the podcast!

Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com