USACE Public Lands-Any Bow Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USACE Public Lands-Any Bow Hunters

Hey I am new to Texas and Dallas. I recently found out that the Army Corps has lands around Dallas that can be hunted (hogs only) by bow and arrow. Anyone ever hunted Lake Lavon? My friend and I are looking for couple of friends to scout and do some hunting.

Never been out there, but have talked to people who have. Plenty of hog sign, but no hogs ever seen, seems to be the theme. I suspect it is not unlike any other public land in TX. Got to put your work in and scout it out.

J

Comment

Yea word of advice get your walking or hikeing shoes on and start putting the leg work in and finding out the hogs routine and there patterns I have seen more deer then hogs in the 2 years i have hunted North Texas Lake Ray Roberts is where I go hog hunting. But yea I got the same advice when I first started hunting north texas, just to start walking and look for sign and wallows and food and bedding and you should do fine.

Comment

Lake Ray Roberts is also close to me. Do you still hunt the area?

Comment

Yes I do hunt this area it opens Jan. 1st I believe it is a Type 2 hunting area since it is a Wildlife Managment Area. Once you purchase your Super Combo hunting and fishing license ask for the type 2 license which is 48$ so plan on spending around 100$ for hunting and fishing license, but me and my hunting buddy hunt there alot for hogs there is a good deer population but no hunting for deer there yet. There is also very good duck hunting but I doubt i will get to do that this year with my busy schedule. I hunt the east part of the lake, but if you need any help just let me know.

Comment

Come on Quickstrike! Ray Roberts WMA is open year round for hog hunting with your APH.
            I think you hunt too many areas and have your info confused.

Here are a couple of links for you to check out...

Click Here for Ray Roberts WMA Info

Click Here for TPWD APH Info

I've heard Lavon has hogs.

Comment

Oh I thought it opened jan 1st ) well I need to check my book before I post things I am sorry larry and shark I will check my book before I post about areas. Larry thank you for the correction, need to get the ol boat out and ready for hog hunting.

Comment

I'm looking at the AHP map book right now for RayBob...Feral Hogs:archery only; jan 19-aug 31. So no hog hunting period at RayBob 'till jan.19

Comment

I'm looking at the AHP map book right now for RayBob...Feral Hogs:archery only; jan 19-aug 31. So no hog hunting period at RayBob 'till jan.19
                  Thats just the WMA, the rest of the lakes corp land can be hog hunted year round, but archery only. You think they are going to protect hogs, they are a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by BillfromFtWorth View Post
                    Thats just the WMA, the rest of the lakes corp land can be hog hunted year round, but archery only. You think they are going to protect hogs, they are a nuisance.
                    Bill where did you get this information there is corp land on Raybob that's not considered part of the WMA? I was under the impression that ALL land around the lake to the "high water mark" was considered part of the WMA and under TPWD's jurisdiction.

Comment

I was under the same impression that lake ray roberts as a whole was WMA.

Comment

I think they might be right, that is why I was looking at Lake Lavon. Free permit to archery hunt, minimal rules. Hunt 365 days for hogs. Who is up for scouting? I was thinking after the holidays.

Comment

I stand corrected. Ray Roberts WMA archery hog hunting is January-September. Makes sense to give the hogs a few months to run free.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                            I stand corrected. Ray Roberts WMA archery hog hunting is January-September. Makes sense to give the hogs a few months to run free.
                            Also keeps people out while it's deer season... hmmm

Comment

quickstrike have you had any luck in the spot i told you about last year?

Comment

Working...
                              X