No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh an you can only hunt the Refuge durring the scheduled hunts.

Comment

You are right SneakyPhil. I reviewed the rules and regulations and it does mention that no platforms or stands can be attached to the trees.

I am now looking for the lightest most portable Tri-pod available.
      The GameTamer Quad-pods are not bad. A 10ft Quad-pod is about $280 and that includes shipment. The weight is not bad either at 75 punds, it seems very light for a Quad-pod.

Any other recommendations?

Comment

Dude,

75 lbs! That is way to heavy. I got an aluminum one for cheap from a guy in Laguna Hieghts. I will try and find the number.

Comment

That would be great. I would like to call him as soon as possible so I am able to still practice from it.

I have several projects that I need to complete before the start of the hunt.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

The number to the place where I got my aluminum tripod is 956-943-9667. The name of the place is Boat Towers Ect. and its in Laguna Hieghts.

Comment

I know of that place. They buy aluminum plates and round stock from us.

I will call them to ask them about their tripods. Thanks for the information.

I have already start practicing and getting gear ready. I went to the refuge this past weekend to see how much it has changed and it is very green. Not like last year when most of the gras was dry. Pigs are going to be everywhere!

Comment

When is the rain going to stop? The refuge is so green right now and hunting is going to be great.

If hunters thought there were a lot of hogs last year, their is going to be more hogs out there this years. Wallowing in and around the Laguna and mud flats.

I went for bike ride out their this weekend and it was great. Lots of fresh tracks and plenty of vegitation. I also noticed lots of rooting from hogs.

Can't wait!!

Comment

You guys better be ready with some way to keep the skeeters away. It has rained and rained here in the valley. Seems like weve been getting at least a couple of days rain each week for the last couple of months.

Comment

Getting ready to have another great season on the refuge.

Anyones else bothered by the dates of this years hunt. Last year it started and ended on a weekend. This year it starts and ends on a Monday. That is less days for me to hunt.

I am still going to make the best of it.

Comment

I take the week off so the dates dont matter much to me.

Comment

This weekend I took my bow to get serviced and attached some new accessories. I do not want to miss any opportunity.

With 5 weeks until scouting, I am already looking into area where Nilgai will be. I like hunting section 6 but the only problem is ther are a lot of hunters. I have more success hunting as far away from everyone else. Pig are going to be everywhere.

Comment

When is all the rain going to stop. At this rate the grass will be so tall, I will hardly be able to see anything. Trails are going to be very difficult to spot.

Comment

Scouting is just two weekends away. I am getting excited to see how last years spots have changed.

Now that the cooler weather has arrived animals will be on the move. I hope it stays like this from now to December. I also have new toys to try out in the field (like my GPS). No more guessing where I am or leaving trail tape to my spot.

I will definately start on the same place where I left off last year. First, entrance of Section 8, Luttes Camp Rd. and Eva Thompson Rd. Going for the "Big Blue Bull"

Comment

One week till scouting. I am loving this cool weather. My dad said he was out at the refuge last weekend and saw a couple of doe. He tells me that he could only see thier ears and tops of thier heads in the grass. Will be a tuff year with all the rain we have had.

Comment

I have been getting reports from other hunters that can not wait until scouting begins. In section 6 medium size herds of nilgai have been seen.
                                They have also seen small bucks ranging from 4pts. to 6pts. also in section 6.

I can only imagin how the other units are going to be. Probably filled with water and extremely tall grass. But I think areas that were dry last year will have more vegetation causing the animals to be more spread out.

Comment

Working...
                                X