Ghillie Suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghillie Suits

For those of you that use these, do you make them or buy them? Any particular favorites if you buy them? I saw some relatively inexpensive ones on Amazon yesterday. I know you get what you pay for, but I’m not 100% committed to this either.

Any tips with using one?

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of material to foul the launch of an arrow, when you need accuracy the most.

I have made a simple 'cape' to try years ago. I found that to keep my chest and bow arm clear of snags, it did not cover much unless I leaned forward and hunched over, which was fine, but makes for a lot of extra movement to come to draw.

The issue that changed my mind was the realization of just how flammable some jute is these days. I think they coat it with a petroleum product to waterproof it. I am not a smoker, but decided dressing up as a roman candle just to hide from deer was not the best answer to staying hidden from deer sight. (I have a lot of jute twine and rope that I use for fire starter now.)

Comment

I got one from an Army surplus store a few years back. Needed to trim a lot of the strings -- on bow arm and chest especially. Really need to suit up and shoot from varying positions to make sure and get clearance. Definitely need to use an arm guard to help in string management.

Also, it's HOT.

May pull it out for cooler weather. Have ended up mostly using a head gear thing I made by tying large gauge yarn pieces onto a piece of camo netting.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought the TCS System suit from cabelas years ago and it is awesome. Had the chance to buy a second one before they were discontinued and I'm kicking myself for not doing it. It is a bit of a hybrid, lightweight, and not stuff hanging off everywhere but far better than the "leafy" suits. Anyway, I don't think you can find them anymore but something similar would be good.

Comment

I've got one from .??Safari??? It's been so long I don't remember the exact name, it's heavy, can be hot, and does require trimming to clear the bowstring but it's the only camouflage I've used that would allow me to get into an arms reach of turkeys, my son had a turkey walk between his leg and longbow limb one morning!

Comment

I made one when I was still in the Marines. Not hard at all, just a little time consuming and a bit tedious. Used a set of cammies, a shelter half (sewn onto the knee/thighs of the trousers, forearms and chest of the blouse), some netting and jute. Stitch it on, tie it up and bury it for about a week and you're good to go.

Comment

Yes Tex4, the Rancho Safari is hot but is awesome when its cold. OP, this suit has a lot of burlap and has an interesting smell; however, I have had mine for over 20 years and love it! I hunt the wind and can vanish in open country. Good luck in your search.

Comment

they get hung up on EVERYTHING. Found the 3d leafy suit was much more user friendly

Comment

I got one I am borrowing from a friend and don’t want to give it back. Take a little stool get down wind and you can hunt anywhere. They are perfect for ambush spots or if the wind is bad for a particular stand . They are worth the money

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We hunt some public land here that we usually construct ground blinds on from local brush. I was thinking this might be something to help as well. It’s not really an issue with the compound as I do t have to get so close. I’m just trying to think of everything to close the gap a bit.

Thanks,
                    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a Rancho Safari this year but have yet to use it. It was heavy and hot. Did some major modifications to it which made it much lighter and cooler. Cut the sleeves off. Made a slit in the back from waist to the bottom. Cut two more slits from just below each armpit to my waist. Still had to do some trimming on the burlap but I can easily shoot my recurve from it. I shoot off a stool on the ground. The Ranch Safari comes with a hat too, but I simply cannot use it with my bow. Way too much hangy down off the hat for me.

Comment

I've used leafy suits extensively. And wth great success.
                        I never could imagine using something that bulky and full of snag points with a bow.

Gary

Comment

Own two of the Leafy Suits in different patterns. Had a ghille suit and it was very hot and snagged everything in the woods.
                          Grits

Comment

My wife bought me one off the net 3 years ago. Love it but it's at the lease so cant help with brand name. If you can find cheap on amazon get it. Then, cut the legs off knee high and the bow holding arm at the elbow

Comment

Ghillies are heavy & hot. At least mine is, but they are very effective.

I carry my ghillie in my pack, and wear a leafy to move around in. Once I get to a spot I want to set up on for a while I slip the ghillie on over the leafy.

I think mine is a Rancho Safari, but I've had it for a long time so I don't remember for sure.
                              It's consider a "long coat" style, and is made with a fishnet type nylon material with a lot of burlap/jute stands tied into it.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X