No announcement yet.

Deer DogCuriosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka is the only person to listen to here folks.
    Sorry for posting!!!

JK

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
      It's a slippery slope up the side of a $#!+ mountain with a greedy govt monster living in the swamp below! Ethically the goal should be to recover a wounded or potentially lost animal. Realistically it's going to depend on how the person enforcing the law interprets the law and the circumstances.

I stand corrected after reading Sika's post!

You’re right...game wardens aren’t lawyers and some of them don’t seem to know the laws very well. You very well could receive a citation but could probably get it thrown out.

A tracker friend of mine had a Polk county game warden get on to him because he didn’t run his dogs on a leash (not a statute) and because he dispatched the hunter’s deer. After looking in to it the warden came back and admitted he was wrong.

The intent of the law was to prevent harm or suffering to a game animal, and allow anyone, except for the actor, to dispatch the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        You’re right...game wardens aren’t lawyers and some of them don’t seem to know the laws very well. You very well could receive a citation but could probably get it thrown out.

A tracker friend of mine had a Polk county game warden get on to him because he didn’t run his dogs on a leash (not a statute) and because he dispatched the hunter’s deer. After looking in to it the warden came back and admitted he was wrong.

The intent of the law was to prevent harm or suffering to a game animal, and allow anyone, except for the actor, to dispatch the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yep he told me about this incident and carries around a copy of what you posted to show to Game Wardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
          Sorry for posting!!!

JK
          You're excused

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

So, to me this is still not clear. The statutes seem to contradict, but thay just be my inability to totally understand legalese.

So during bow season, after dark, you find your wounded deer, what methods are legal to dispatch? Any?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
              So, to me this is still not clear. The statutes seem to contradict, but thay just be my inability to totally understand legalese.

So during bow season, after dark, you find your wounded deer, what methods are legal to dispatch? Any?
              Any humane method according to the General Orders

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Sitka is the only person to listen to here folks.

Who the eff is Sitka?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  Who the eff is Sitka?
                  Sika's sister. She trains blood trailing cats

Comment

Being a tracker, I called the local GW last year and was told that if I put one down during archery season, to contact her and give her the details along with the hunters name so that if the hunter is reported by processor for a gun kill during archery season, they won't get in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      Sika's sister. She trains blood trailing cats
                      For realz. I thought errybody knew that

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        Any humane method according to the General Orders
                        Though “not through the actors conduct” so technically if YOU find YOUR wounded deer after dark during bow season someone else has to dispatch it.

Comment

I keep TPWD Code Section 61.060 bookmarked on my phone for hunters to read for themselves.

I also contact the Warden in the county I'll be tracking in.

To boil down the "Legalese," a person can dispatch a mortally wounded animal by any ethical means. It can't be the person that created the mortal wound. This also answers the tagging question, because the "dispatcher" is only ensuring that the animal, whose death is eminent as caused by the hunter, dies in a place and time that ensures the animal goes to the hunter and not the coyotes.

Comment

Hate to post on this again, the lady with the dog legally has no right to kill the deer either. The dog only has a right to find it. Its up to the Warden to let anyone to end the suffering. Its not up to citizens, right or wrong, they have to use judgement. I was raised to end any suffering quickly. Thats not the states position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                              Hate to post on this again, the lady with the dog legally has no right to kill the deer either. The dog only has a right to find it. Its up to the Warden to let anyone to end the suffering. Its not up to citizens, right or wrong, they have to use judgement. I was raised to end any suffering quickly. Thats not the states position.

You may be confusing Sec 61.060, which clearly states that "the lady with the dog" may legally dispatch a mortally wounded animal by any humane means if she didn't cause the wound, with Sec 62.0065 (d), which states, "(d) The commission by rule may authorize the use of dogs to trail wounded deer." TPWD Commission authorized: "Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A “wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail." The unlawful counties being: Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.

Comment

You may be confusing Sec 61.060, which clearly states that "the lady with the dog" may legally dispatch a mortally wounded animal by any humane means if she didn't cause the wound, with Sec 62.0065 (d), which states, "(d) The commission by rule may authorize the use of dogs to trail wounded deer." TPWD Commission authorized: "Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A “wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail." The unlawful counties being: Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.

I would suggest you try that in a bleeding hearts Game Warden county. Its a judgement call on what needs to be killed to avoid suffering.

Comment

Working...
                                X