Trad guys......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad guys......

....a few questions. Do you leave your recurve strung or unstrung ? If you string it each time you shoot, do you use a stringer or do the step-through-bottom-limb-on-your-ankle thing ? Do you measure your individual draw length from the back of the bow or from the front ? Thanks for any info !

Trad guys......

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    ....a few questions. Do you leave your recurve strung or unstrung ? If you string it each time you shoot, do you use a stringer or do the step-through-bottom-limb-on-your-ankle thing ? Do you measure your individual draw length from the back of the bow or from the front ? Thanks for any info !

I unstring my bows when not in use. Others guys leave them strung. It does not matter. Strung or unstrung, never store your bow standing on one end leaning up against a wall. Store your bow laying flat, or hung from a peg/pegs. And NEVER leave a strung bow in a hot environment such as a car!!!!

For a recurve, ALWAYS use a stringer. You don’t have to use a stringer for a longbow (that is part of what makes longbows cooler [emoji1787]).

Measure your DL from the valley of the nock to the back of the bow. The back of the bow is the side facing away from you when you are holding the bow. The side of the bow facing you when you are holding the bow is called the belly.

Hope this helps!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I leave mine strung if I intend to use it regularly. I use a stringer. I put a clothes pin on a long arrow and draw to anchor. Measure from the deepest part of the nock groove to the back of the clothes pin for draw length.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        I unstring my bows when not in use. Others guys leave them strung. It does not matter. Strung or unstrung, never store your bow standing on one end leaning up against a wall. Store your bow laying flat, or hung from a peg/pegs. And NEVER leave a strung bow in a hot environment such as a car!!!!

For a recurve, ALWAYS use a stringer. You don’t have to use a stringer for a longbow (that is part of what makes longbows cooler [emoji1787]).

Measure your DL from the valley of the nock to the back of the bow. The back of the bow is the side facing away from you when you are holding the bow. The side of the bow facing you when you are holding the bow is called the belly.

Hope this helps!

Bisch

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        I leave mine strung if I intend to use it regularly. I use a stringer. I put a clothes pin on a long arrow and draw to anchor. Measure from the deepest part of the nock groove to the back of the clothes pin for draw length.
        Thanks guys ! Due to both my shoulders deteriorating, I’m unable to hold my compound steady enough to practice much. I can get about two sets of three arrows shot before I can no longer hold it steady. I have an old Wing Archery Red Wing Hunter that I’ve not shot much, but with a little practice I could group three arrows in the kill zone at 12/15 yards. I’m strictly an instinctive shooter, know nothing about “gap shooting” or any other aiming method so close range will be all I’m capable of. The recurve, being much lighter, and me releasing the arrow quicker might save me from the crossbow. I’m not gonna try it this year, but start working on it after winter is done.

One more question I didn’t think of until now. Do any of you shoot through netting with a trad bow ? I know the arrow flexes for the first few feet, so how will that affect arrow flight ? I almost always hunt from my ground blinds with netting on the windows. I would say at full draw the head would not be over 18” or so from the netting.
        Attached Files

Comment

I do not like shooting through netting. I have done it and have taken game through netting. Personally, I just do not like to. Enough things can go wrong and shooting through netting is just one more thing.

Good luck with the shoulders.

Comment

Trad guys......

I have shoot thru mesh in every one of my blinds. It works great, and gives you much more freedom of movement. The only thing I have found that can mess up arrow flight is if you try to shoot thru it at a real sharp angle. It does rob you of a little shooting light, but it’s a good trade off as far as I’m concerned. I don’t like shooting a critter if I can’t see where my arrow hits anyway!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Not a shoot through netting fan. I keep my blinds dark enough that with darker camo or black on the cannot see me and I have not had an issue with being picked off even with deer at less than 5 yards. That said in my Krivoman and Maverick blinds opening the windows can be tricky. But that's because of the window shine/reflection/movement not seeing me.
              I have to say though my Carbon Spyder is fairly light weight. No heavier than my Black Widow was and is much easier on m shoulders and hands. You my look at some of the newer carbon bows.

Gary

Comment

Sitting in my Krivoman blind with netting in the windows, waiting on a buck to cruise by!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Sitting in my Krivoman blind with netting in the windows, waiting on a buck to cruise by!!!!

Bisch

Bisch, those little clips are exactly what I use to hold my netting in place. And here I thought I was special.

Comment

I’ve never had any arrow flight issues shooting through mesh. However, I don’t like shooting through it. I generally only keep one or two windows open so it stays dark inside. The main issue I have is the mesh messes with my depth perception which is an issue shooting instinctive. Also when the sun hits it at an angle it can be difficult to see through.

Comment

Trad guys......

Yeah, you have to practice some to get over the depth perception thing (tends to make everything look closer than it really is for me), and you pretty much have position the blind facing N or S to avoid the glare. If you had a place where the blind was in the shade all the time you wouldn’t have to worry about what direction it was facing.

Bisch

Comment

Yep. It messes my vision up.

Gary

Comment

Talk to your bowyer about measuring brace height, some measure to throat of grip, some measure to back of shelf. But as long as you measure from same place every time you're good just get the right distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                            Talk to your bowyer about measuring brace height, some measure to throat of grip, some measure to back of shelf. But as long as you measure from same place every time you're good just get the right distance.
                            I’m afraid my bowyer has been out of business for many years. I could probably find someone that was familiar with a Red Wing Hunter if I tried hard enough.

Comment

My bowyers aren't making bows anymore either, but there enough folks shooting whatever bow and you can get help. There other sites that are more traditional.

Comment

Working...
                              X