Uvalde Co hunting/rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
    Very slow weekend for us. Not seeing too many pigs around but most of the deer movement is at night. Guess it's still too hot.
    Same here. I had a group of pigs come in Sat morning but they left before I could get camera on, start recording (had some operator error with this) and shoot. I didn't see any deer at all.

Comment

I’ve been out there several times and haven’t even heard a coyote but, seen a few fox.

Comment

Acorns are falling and are everywhere!! Not much WT movement.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oldblue View Post
          Im on 83 just 5 miles south of Concan on the Briscoe ranch. Anyone else hunt near or on this ranch? The lease manager said the rut is always the week after Thanksgiving, curious to see what everyone else in this general area say? Thanks
          We are hunting neighbors. My family owns the Davenport Ranch. Your lease manager was correct about the rut time.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
            We are hunting neighbors. My family owns the Davenport Ranch. Your lease manager was correct about the rut time.
            I'm right across the street on the northside of you. I think there is 4 or 5 of us that are all within a few miles of each other on 83/1051

Comment

Originally posted by hef187 View Post
              I'm right across the street on the northside of you. I think there is 4 or 5 of us that are all within a few miles of each other on 83/1051

We need rain pretty bad up there. We had the opposite problem last year. I'll be out there for rifle opener week. We've been trying to get the hog numbers down as much as we can but there are still plenty. We have all our feeders pen'd off and kill every hog we see. We've been managing the place heavily for the past 15 years and have noticed big changes in the body and antler size of the deer. Pigs are our only problem now. We haven't shot a doe on the place in the last six years due to low numbers and usually take only 3-5 bucks a year.
              Good luck this year.

Comment

We need rain pretty bad up there. We had the opposite problem last year. I'll be out there for rifle opener week. We've been trying to get the hog numbers down as much as we can but there are still plenty. We have all our feeders pen'd off and kill every hog we see. We've been managing the place heavily for the past 15 years and have noticed big changes in the body and antler size of the deer. Pigs are our only problem now. We haven't shot a doe on the place in the last six years due to low numbers and usually take only 3-5 bucks a year.

Good luck this year.
                Almost destroyed my truck last year in the dry Frio after our driveway washed out from all the rain we got. Me and one other guy took 44 hogs last year hunting/trapping them. Pigs and Aoudad run our feeders for the most part. Lots of doe and some young bucks. We'll normally see more mature deer between Dec and Feb. On our lease, 5 of the 8 are really pushing management, and feeding (corn, protein, cottonseed, and alfalfa).

Good luck! We should all try to meet up for lunch sometime (Maybe Neals, or somewhere in Uvalde)

Comment

Originally posted by hef187 View Post
                  Almost destroyed my truck last year in the dry Frio after our driveway washed out from all the rain we got. Me and one other guy took 44 hogs last year hunting/trapping them. Pigs and Aoudad run our feeders for the most part. Lots of doe and some young bucks. We'll normally see more mature deer between Dec and Feb. On our lease, 5 of the 8 are really pushing management, and feeding (corn, protein, cottonseed, and alfalfa).

Good luck! We should all try to meet up for lunch sometime (Maybe Neals, or somewhere in Uvalde)

Sounds like a plan to me. We try to make a trip in February each year with nightvision guns to thin the pig herd. We usually kill 50-100 each year between shooting and trapping.

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me. We try to make a trip in February each year with nightvision guns to thin the pig herd. We usually kill 50-100 each year between shooting and trapping.
                    Holla! We play with NV and Thermals as well

Comment

Acorns are falling and are everywhere!! Not much WT movement.

Same on our lease as well. Most deer movement is still at night and still hearing plenty of coyotes every morning.

Comment

I’m in too! I’ll be there this coming Weekend if all goes well. Good Luck and keep this going.

Comment

OldBlue, Do you know what Briscoe is doing with the helicopter? There's been a blue and white copter hovering pretty low just West of our place the last couple times I've been at the ranch. I saw the same copter last year over there as well.

Comment

OldBlue, Do you know what Briscoe is doing with the helicopter? There's been a blue and white copter hovering pretty low just West of our place the last couple times I've been at the ranch. I saw the same copter last year over there as well.
                            Probably getting ready to move some cows. We havent had any on our Briscoe lease in months. Sometimes we'll go in our back gate to stop and bs with the lease manager and we've noticed there has been a bunch on his side (our chunk of Briscoe is split up in 3 leases)

Comment

I’m not sure but, hef187 might be right on. The cows are pretty wild and our manager said they try and pull them out before deer season. If I hear anything about it, I’ll let you know.

Comment

Well our weekend was slow. A few hogs and a couple doe. We did notice there weren’t many cows so, they must’ve got them out or moved to another pasture. I hope this helps. At least the weather was nice! There were a lot of acorns for sure. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                                X