2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here ya go. Arcgis map

Last edited by Froggy; 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Good stuff here, thank you!

Who got to name all the units?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post

Probably Froggy. He was working there before the dinosaurs walked the earth. I hear he's Burnadale's younger brother too.

Comment

Do you guys know if the archery shop in Decatur services Mathews?

Comment

Oh ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe they can service them but they do not sell them.

Comment

The unit names came from the families who lived on the land prior to federal ownership. The Grasslands were in the southern end of the "Dust Bowl". Much of the topsoil had washed away due to poor agricultural practices. Many families could no longer make a living off the land and moved away.

Congress passed the Bankhead-Jones Farm Tenant Act in 1937. It was initially set up as a Land Utilization Project. The intent was to acquire 1.5 million acres in Wise and Montague Counties. With the advent of WWII the feds stopped the acquisition program to fund the war effort. That's the reason for the checkerboard ownership.

The Soil Conservation Service was the initial land management agency. The Forest Service took over management in 1954. The LBJ is one of 20 National Grasslands administered by the US Forest Service.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Probably Froggy. He was working there before the dinosaurs walked the earth. I hear he's Burnadale's younger brother too.
                  Yep. Burnadell used to pick on me all the time. I would never, ever be mean to my brother like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boldent2012 View Post
                    Me as well. I do use the range at Quail Creek off of 35W too. They've got a decent archery range and allow shotgun slugs on the 30yd for those who participate in the general season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    That's good to know! I've always driven by that place but never tried it out.

Comment

Does anyone have a recent map of Big Lake to get an idea of roads that can be driven/walked? All of the maps on TPWD are missing those details based on what I can view

Comment

How was the workshop?

Comment

I bet everyone knows all the secrets of hunting now......rats.

Comment

How was the workshop?
                            Good but definitely focused on the beginner. Lots of first time hunters which is nice to see. I wish they had something like that when I started 6 years ago. Got to finally meet Froggy and some other great folks so was definitely worth my time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately I didnt make it:/ my dirtbike was calling my name [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wished I could have been there. I have been fighting bronchitis for the last week and didn't want to make it worse before next weekend. It would be nice to meet others that hunt there.

Comment

Working...
                                X