Hunting Antelope with a Cow Decoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Antelope with a Cow Decoy

So, for the first time, my wife is going with me to hunt. We are hunting pronghorn in Dalhart with Ray Posey (TBH). I'm thrilled to have her along for the long trip up and back and for the days driving and glassing. She has seen where folks in hunting shows use big cow decoys to get in close and that has her interest. She thinks it would be fun. So, do they really work? Worth spending $100 on it? I think she would love a pic of she and I with a pronghorn posing in front of a big cow decoy.

BTW, I have a new APR 6.5 PRC so just need to get within a mile or so.

I don't see how it would hurt. A cow decoy is better than a pronghorn decoy that might earn you some arrow flung in your direction.

Comment

Yes it’ll work
      We simulated a cow last year & snuck up on a Colorado elk heard of 500

Go for it!

Comment

I'm interested to hear opinions as well; especially anyone who has used both a cow and pronghorn decoy and how they compare.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Should work. I've used a horse silhouette many times to sneak up on geese feeding in a field, so I can see how this would be plausible.

Comment

If they are used to seeing cattle then yes it will work. No cattle in the pasture they might just take off.
            Small buck decoys work great during the rut. You have to get close enough to make the mature buck in the herd uncomfortable.
            Hunting behind a horse works very well, just have to have a horse that won't spook with the shot.

Comment

I’m planning on having a cow decoy for my archery antelope hunt in New Mexico in a couple weeks

Comment

Horse works pretty good too. I shot an antelope in Colorado two years ago using a horse. You can get close. You’re probably not going to get a 20 yard shot but, I was able to shoot mine at 58 yards. That’s getting pretty close when stalking an antelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool. I have found them for $75 delivered. I think I may just get one. I wonder how they would work in Llano on pigs and deer?

Comment

I bought one of these but haven't stalked anything with it yet. Reviews are good though.https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/sta...SAAEgJD5_D_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
                      I bought one of these but haven't stalked anything with it yet. Reviews are good though.https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/sta...SAAEgJD5_D_BwE
                      Thos are pretty cool

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Horses work better if they are in pastures that have horses. Made my own cow decoy many, many years ago ad it worked, but no shots until it rained. It was made of cardboard and it did not like the rain!

Comment

Working...
                        X