No announcement yet.

Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your place won't carry 15 Au ? Sounds like you just need a batwing and a tractor..

Comment

Hmm off the top I would think 100 acres would hold 10-15 cows.

Comment

If the place wont hold 9 pair and a bull he's paying to much for the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
          Hmm off the top I would think 100 acres would hold 10-15 cows.
          All depends on type of vegetation, previous management, tree/brush cover, topography, etc.

Comment

If he's regularly feeding Hay, I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe you shouldn't be leasing your land for cattle......

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              All depends on type of vegetation, previous management, tree/brush cover, topography, etc.
              Sure but unless it's all pine trees, ETX usually pretty good grazing. But to your point, yes, the makeup of the land would play a part. Lol if i cant hold 10 cows on 100 acres, especially with hay, not worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                If he's regularly feeding Hay, I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe you shouldn't be leasing your land for cattle......
                If he’s regularly feeding hay then he’s overstocked. If he’s overstocked then he’s depleting the resource.

Comment

A lot of cattlemen feed hay in the winter.

Comment

What evidence is there that this number of cattle is having negative effects on 100 acres. Or is it more of, you just had a change of heart about having cattle on your property?

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                      If he’s regularly feeding hay then he’s overstocked. If he’s overstocked then he’s depleting the resource.
                      That's baloney

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        Its 100 acres and right now its 9 heifers, and 1 bull, but he just sold off I think 8 calves. Its an older guy so I am compassionate to an extent, but I think that effects his thoughts on future leasing opportunities. I have documented correspondence, just looking for what levers I can pull. I thought the water was pretty reasonable (there is still a large tank) versus say taking my gates off for repairs.
                        Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
                        What county is your pasture in?

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
                          Its 100 acres and right now its 9 heifers, and 1 bull, but he just sold off I think 8 calves. Its an older guy so I am compassionate to an extent, but I think that effects his thoughts on future leasing opportunities. I have documented correspondence, just looking for what levers I can pull. I thought the water was pretty reasonable (there is still a large tank) versus say taking my gates off for repairs.

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                          Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
                          What county is your pasture in?

did he sell off the cows too and get replacements heifers? seems like 100 acres should support 10 animals with an occasional round bale and cubes

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post

did he sell off the cows too and get replacements heifers? seems like 100 acres should support 10 animals with an occasional round bale and cubes
                            My guess would be that it was 9 pairs and a bull and he just sold off the yearlings so now it's 9 Cows and a bull. But yes, he said 9 heifers so not sure,

Comment

How long is your lease agreement for? You don't have to renew it. You don't have to renew it with the same language if you do renew it. If your lease agreement doesn't address stocking rate, then it should the next time you sign one. If he doesn't agree to it, don't lease to him again. Between now and then sit down and talk to him about your concerns and expectations. If he still isn't agreeable, then either stick it out until the lease is up or talk to your lawyer about what options you have to try to get him to either comply or end the lease early.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                                My guess would be that it was 9 pairs and a bull and he just sold off the yearlings so now it's 9 Cows and a bull. But yes, he said 9 heifers so not sure,
                                20 head or 10 head
                                Either way 100 acres East of Dallas should be able to support that
                                Even without the supplement hay

If OP thinks cattleman is overgrazing I wonder how many head OP thinks this 100 acres can hold?

Comment

Working...
                                X