Keeping pond filled with well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping pond filled with well

I have a 1/2-3/4 acre pond a couple hundred yards from my well. The well is strong (100 gpm). What do I need to do in order to keep the pond filled with the well water?

I would need to get water over to the pond (pvc?) and need to tie into the well some how. Also, do you use a float system or some type of timer that adds water daily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I doubt you need a timer system, just turn the well on when you think it's low.

Comment

We bought a ranch with cattle troughs over a mile from the well. Black plastic pipe was run to it and the well put on a timer. Depending on the time of year you figure out how long you need to run the well to keep the water level where you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post

I don’t live on the land so I think a timer would be necessary

Comment

Put a timer on the well and run it for 12 hours every 2 weeks. When you go to the ranch of the pond is low change the time to every week.

Comment

Put a fill valve with a float on it. Like a toilet float. 3/4-1” valve shouldn’t cost more than around $100.00.

Comment

+1
              How often you visit the property ?

We have the same situation here and fill it when necessary.
              Rolled black poly pipe would be easiest.
              Last edited by Big pig; 01-08-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

A 100 gpm is small irrigation size it won't take much running at all to keep it full.

Comment

I've got the same situation for four training ponds that are 100+ yards from the well.
                  I've got good water with no refresh issues with 1 1/4" pipe coming out of the well. Pump is rated for continuous duty. I ran a 1 1/2" pipe towards the ponds, then branched to each individual pond (all with ball valve control). The bigger pipe allows for minimal resistance on flow and the continuous duty pump allows the bladder valve to bleed off and then the pump is pushing water straight to the pond of choice. Costs me less than $5/day to run it continuous. If you don't set it up this way, the bladder valve and pump with cycle constantly which isn't good for either. I'm pumping just under 30 gpm and keep the ponds full year round for dog training. Sounds like you have a great well and larger pump, so you should be able to fill that pond quickly. A timer at the well would be the way to go, trial and error to see how frequently and long you'd need to let it run. Summer vs Winter evaporation and seepage are factors to consider.

Comment

I have a pond the same size and fill it as needed from my well. I have a 1 1/2” pvc from the well to my pond. A gate valve at the well to simply turn it on when the pond gets low. At the pond the pvc comes up out of the ground with a 45 on it, and shoots water up in the air, and lands in the middle of my pond. This helps provide oxygen as well for the pond.

Comment

Exactly what we do. You can go that elaborate , but we haven’t seen the need. See it low and drive gator over and turn well on (as is sorely for tank). Pops build an over sized well house and it serves as rifle blind over a feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I have a pond the same size and fill it as needed from my well. I have a 1 1/2” pvc from the well to my pond. A gate valve at the well to simply turn it on when the pond gets low. At the pond the pvc comes up out of the ground with a 45 on it, and shoots water up in the air, and lands in the middle of my pond. This helps provide oxygen as well for the pond.
                        We supplement one of our tanks with well water and our set up is almost exactly like yours, however, instead of a gate valve, we use a ball valve (faucet) to control the rate of flow. We have a good number of tanks in our place so no need for troughs. The horses, on the other hand, are restricted to an area near the barn so water is provided to them via several troughs. These are hooked up to the well with pvc that comes up through faucets that feed the troughs (very low-tech). We use floats to regulate the water levels in these.

Comment

Isn’t this hard on a regular well pump?ive got a 1/4 acre tank close to my house. It’s fairly deep, and I don’t think I could ever completely fill it up with my well.

Comment

The pump says it’s rated for continuous duty so I am guess it’ll be able to handle keeping the pond full.

Comment

I’ve ran mine nonstop 4-5 days at a time and never had an issue

Comment

Working...
                              X