Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western/Stalk Style Hunts and Handheld Releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western/Stalk Style Hunts and Handheld Releases?

I made the switch a couple seasons back to a Carter Chocolate thumb style release. For stand hunting I love being able to hook it to D loop and have my free hands for filming, ranging, call, etc.

If all goes as planned I will be making my first elk trip in September. Obviously, not a good idea to stalk around with it hooked up. So, how do you guys that use one hunt with on stalk type hunts? Simply keep it in your pocket the best way to go?

I would keep one in each pocket if my elk depended on it.
    Lol
    This is why I have shot Scott for the last 20 years always on my wrist or bow handle.
    I do play with a thumb for 3d, I am honestly no more accurate with either

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      I made the switch a couple seasons back to a Carter Chocolate thumb style release. For stand hunting I love being able to hook it to D loop and have my free hands for filming, ranging, call, etc.

If all goes as planned I will be making my first elk trip in September. Obviously, not a good idea to stalk around with it hooked up. So, how do you guys that use one hunt with on stalk type hunts? Simply keep it in your pocket the best way to go?
      I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting in Texas and out West. I went to the HTM style release to give me the feel of a thumb but it's still index driven and has a buckle wrist strap. I was caught to many times with my thumb release in my pocket crouched down ranging an animal then not being able to move to grab it as shot presented itself.

If I went back to a thumb I would keep it in the side pocket of my bino harness as reaching in that area is a constant motion on spot and stalk hunts. Just MHO... good luck!!

Comment

If was keeping one in my pocket I would have an extra one buried at the bottom of my pack in case the one in your pocket falls out somewhere (real possibility). I would keep it in my pants pocket and not a jacket pocket etc, you could ditch your jacket on a stalk and forget it was in there.

Comment

I run a shoe string through the set or cocking button whatever you want to call it and wrap around my wrist and tuck the release into the loop on my wrist to hold it secure. I don’t put it on until I’m just about within range. They also sell wrist straps with a string made to replace worn out straps, can just use one of those. There is also little clips that can be attached to the side of your release that clip onto your bowstring to keep the release from swinging around once attached to your d loop.

Usually I’m wearing a hoodie or jacket with a chest pocket and I’ll keep my release there so it wont fall out, get in my way, and is in a spot that’s easily accessible and convenient with binos and rangefinder.

Comment

Pocket and extra in the pack

Comment

This has been one of the biggest challenges for me since I made the switch. I typically keep my primary release in my chest pocket of my pullover (or "thigh" pocket of my pants, allowing me to more easily access it even if crouched down.) I also have a "backup" release in the front pocked of my bino harness. (I think having a backup is critical for these types of hunts.)

Following for additional suggestions.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Coolest thing since sliced bread for holding a thumb release. Secures with a magnet and a swivel. If they don’t have one for your specific release model then contact them and see if they will make one. The guy is friends with a TBHer and I heard about these on TBH a while back but the thread didn’t get any attention. He’s really onto something here and everyone asks me about it when they see it on my bow.

AOT magnetic thumb release mounts archery bow hunting holder hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                  If was keeping one in my pocket I would have an extra one buried at the bottom of my pack in case the one in your pocket falls out somewhere (real possibility). I would keep it in my pants pocket and not a jacket pocket etc, you could ditch your jacket on a stalk and forget it was in there.
                  Exactly what I have done and had no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

Coolest thing since sliced bread for holding a thumb release. Secures with a magnet and a swivel. If they don’t have one for your specific release model then contact them and see if they will make one. The guy is friends with a TBHer and I heard about these on TBH a while back but the thread didn’t get any attention. He’s really onto something here and everyone asks me about it when they see it on my bow.

https://advoutdoortech.com/
                    That is pretty slick, is it lightweight? Noisy? Hold tight and easy to get release out when time comes?

Comment

I shoot either a thumb release or hinge. I take at least three on each hunt. One in my pocket, one in zippered pocket of my bino harness and one in zippered pocket of my backpack. I typically have another in camp/tent/whatever in case it really goes to hell. I don’t remember ever losing one but I will always have a spare! I do put a loop of paracord on most of them. I can slide it over my wrist if I want.

Comment

I carry mine in my bino harness side pocket or front pant pocket. I've always had plenty of time to get it when it's needed.. I also keep my spare in the lid pocket of my pack.. You never know what can happen.. I found a release last year on the trail.. It ended up belonging to a guy that was camped about a hundred yards from my truck at the trail head.. He sure was happy to get it back ..

Comment

Kept mine in the front pocket of my bino harness. Backup release was in pack. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by djo51 View Post
                            Kept mine in the front pocket of my bino harness. Backup release was in pack. No issues.
                            I keep seeing that recommendation. Might have to get a different harness. I am using the Kuiu pro, but I don't remember it having a good zipper pocket.

Comment

That is pretty slick, is it lightweight? Noisy? Hold tight and easy to get release out when time comes?

Not noisy at all and it’s secure in there. My release rode in there all over Wyoming this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X