Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 15, 2010(Long Read)

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    May 15,2010 is a day I will never forget. It's the day I realized that my life was in shambles and the only person I could blame was me. My drinking had become a horrible problem and consumed and defined who I was. What started out as drinking with buddies for fun in high school had manifested itself into basically a 20 year binge. I dealt with all my problems, marital, financial, and others by drinking. I always had nice cars, house, good job so I thought there wasn't a problem. Alcoholics were those bums on the street, I thought. Came to find out that couldn't be further from the truth.

It had come to the point that if there was any social event, get together, or function where there wasn't alcohol I didn't want to go. And if I "had" to go, I'd slam some before we went. If I wasn't working or asleep, I was drinking. No one knew the extent of the drinking, I guess because I didn't act drunk. I knew deep down I was an alcoholic, I just pushed it down with alcohol so I didn't have to face it(ironic,huh). I blamed everything on someone or something else, I neglected my fatherly and husbandly duties at times, because getting drunk took priority. In 2007 I got a DWI after I had a wreck, ran off the road and almost hit a 4' diameter tree at 70. That made me stop for about a week. Nearly dying, dwi, and the other troubles weren't enough to stop me. In hindsight that was absolutely insane, but at the time I didn't see it. This addiction will start to strain relationships, friendships, work performance, etc. But I kept blaming everyone else.Got tired of my dad staying on my butt. I'm surprised that some people will even talk to me now. But that person was not me, and they knew that.

May 14, 2010 was a normal day for then. Get off work, grab a 30, and start drinking, the same as I had done for many years. Night went as always, sitting in a lawn chair slamming beer and "thinking". Went to bed about 10. At 4:30 in the morning on May 15, 2010, I woke up, wide awake, with tears running down my face. I don't know why, but I knew at that moment that I had to change. It's almost like God was saying " I'm tired of being nice and trying to guide you on the right path, I'm about to slap you and wake you up". I got up, poured out all alcohol in the house, and then just sat and reflected on what my life had become. Later that morning I checked into rehab. I learned a lot about myself there. I got the counseling that I needed. Went to outpatient for 4 months. I truly think that if I hadn't gone or if I didn't have the family and friends I have, I might not be here, or if I was, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I'm only telling this because I know some people have the same issues and I'm here to say that it can be done. In hindsight, I wasn't living at all, I was bound by my addiction. I can honestly say that the last three years have been some of the best of my life. And if my story helps one person, it's worth telling. I promised myself I would try to help anyone who had similar problems if I could. It's very hard to admit a problem, it's probably the hardest step. That and losing people you thought were friends. Your true friends will be there. PERIOD. But if anyone ever needs advice or help, don't hesitate to ask. I thank God every day for my sobriety.. 3 years and counting.

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    Ain't it great to be high on life

Congrats brother as I commend you for opening up and sharing with many strangers

I have no doubt that your testimony will affect someone on the GS and end up saving their life

Addicted to the bottle or pipe is a false hope that destroys many lives and families

I'm proud of you and others who admitted they had a problem and live by the First step

Read these posts Tuesday morning and they struck a nerve that I had already been poking at. That evening, for the first time in probably 22 years, I purposely headed to the lease without adult beverages. Still had a blast and saved $20 lol
    Thank y’all for reaching out and I can promise you, there’s a lot more of us listening than you’re aware of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Backwoods101; 05-19-2022, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Read these posts Tuesday morning and they struck a nerve that I had already been poking at. That evening, for the first time in probably 22 years, I purposely headed to the lease without adult beverages. Still had a blast and saved $20 lol
      Thank y’all for reaching out and I can promise you, there’s a lot more of us listening than you’re aware of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Year 13 in the books. Sobriety has afforded me many things that otherwise were unattainable. I bump this once a year in the hopes someone who needs to see it sees it.

Comment

Congrats on making 13

Comment

It is a mighty God we serve!! Praise Him for saving you sir!!
            Congratulations to you and your family!!

Comment

Congrats sir, still praying for you. Inspirational!

Comment

Congratulations Sir!

Comment

Good stuff, congrats on your continued success.

Comment

Good stuff Ritchie.👍👍

Comment

Keep up the good work Sir

Comment

Thanks. Id hate to see where I’d be if i hadn’t quit. Anyone needs or wants to chat I’m a PM away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is a great testament!
                          God is the one true help.
                          Thanks for sharing GH.

Comment

I learned a lot of things from my dad and to this day, the older I get, the smarter my dad gets... He's been gone since Christmas Eve of 1999... And I'm still learning from him!
                            But when I was a kid, he was always bad-mouthing alcohol of any drinking type... I never knew until later on just why... My dad had been a raving alcoholic before I was born... It too wrecked his life as a young man, especially after getting out of the Army... One Monday morning after an all-weekend drunk, he sat up on the side of the bed trying to get his head straight so he could get up and go to work. At the same time my mom was on the other side of the bed just hacking and coughing her head off trying to clear her lungs enough so she could breathe... My dad turned to face her and told her, "Honey, if you'll never light another cigarette, I'll never take another drink." Aside from that statement and the commitment they both made to sticking to that, I'd have never been born.
                            My dad always told me, "Son, there's no "good" in alcohol. If there was, I'd have found it!" All my life I've been terrified because of my addictive nature to venture off into looking for good in it either.
                            Good thing too, because there's no way I could be the man you are GH. I don't think I could have ever kicked it like you did!

All praise and Glory be to God for you and me too... He has a way to protect us no matter how. He does it in different ways for those who are called.
                            God bless you sir!

Comment

Congratulations on 13 years!! Your past life and others that have posted their battles on this thread will give inspiration to others. Keep bringing it to the top as a reminder. God bless you sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X