No announcement yet.

Wyoming 90/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other states will follow. Eventually if you ever want to draw a great tag you’ll just have to move to the state you want to hunt. If I could give any advice to newbies wanting to get in the western game I’d only buy points for Colorado deer, WY pronghorn and put in for NM elk every year. If I could start all over I would of never got in the points game this deep across so many states. Save your money for private land tags.

I’m burning my 7 WY elk points this year on a general tag and don’t plan on starting up again. I’m sitting at 5-8 points in most states for most species.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Non residents can draw 100% of our bighorn tags, so yeah it is great for you folks.

I wish Texas would start managing our Elk population and quit considering them non native. If the mentality of other states is to keep their hunting to themselves, at least we can provide a few opportunities to Texans to experience elk hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      A little bit humorous that Texas considers elk non-native but you have more exotics than any other state in the nation. I know the state does not manage the exotics per say, but it is a little bit of a head scratcher.
      We have more elk here in Wyoming than ever and could certainly transplant a bunch down to west Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        My issue with the split , is the units that have large amounts of Nat. forest and BLM land. That land is kept up and managed with Federal Tax dollars, not state income tax or sales tax. So I have as much claim to it as anyone else, resident or not. If a person is hunting state owned land, than by all means, keep the majority of tags going to residents, but not on Federal Land.

I agree OTC units are overcrowded and need to go to a draw system....but make it a equal percentage draw, not a heavily weighted split.
        This does nothing to effect your claim to the land.

Your land, state’s animals (resource/tags/limits).

Comment

It's a head scratcher that some folks can't accept the fact that Wyoming's wildlife is held in trust for the residents of the state. You are more than free to come up and recreate all you want on Federal lands. To hunt you have to have a state license. The courts have upheld states' rights to charge more for and limit NR hunting. It is that way all over the West, or for any state.

WG&F has done the studies on lost revenue and ways to make it up, residents will have to pay a little more and we are willing too.

Nice little bit of info, Area 7 ( Wagonhound) used to be a General license. Some other areas can hold big bulls and can be drawn before area 7, but they are sure not a given like Wagonhound and area 7 on private.

Lawsuits over the PP will be interesting. Not sure of any standing with the disclaimer they put right online. People paid for PP and they are keeping their PP I believe.

The OIL designation is good for the Big 5 , even though I would love to hunt moose every few years.
          That may help a bit with the number of applicants that re enter the draw after 5 years for sheep and moose.
          I still have a chance at 1 more moose license, we are out of the sheep game.
          I know folks who have drawn multiple sheep licenses, now that will not happen again with OIL.
          We've taken 3 moose so far and now we will be done if I draw again. I admit that sounds greedy but under our system, multiple licenses over our lifetime were really possible. Now numbers are down and in fairness going to OIL is the way to go. I would not have griped too much if they had retro'd my moose licenses and kicked me out too.

That kind of OIL limitation may help with the PP creep, but probably not much.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
            A little bit humorous that Texas considers elk non-native but you have more exotics than any other state in the nation. I know the state does not manage the exotics per say, but it is a little bit of a head scratcher.
            We have more elk here in Wyoming than ever and could certainly transplant a bunch down to west Texas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            Elk by and large were not native to Texas…..there were small populations ( probably Merriam’s Elk) in a few mountain ranges in the Trans Pecos and a few migrating herds in the panhandle along the Canadian river. Texas was not ate up with elk as many think.

Since 99.9% of Elk in Texas reside on private lands, it would be of no benefit to delist them. I’m for keeping them as a exotic….if they made them a game animal and were allowed into P&Y and B&C thr number of people hunting them would skyrocket and so would the pricing. Just look at what has happened with Aoudad hunting in West Texas

Comment

I guess I better get to burning the Antelope and Deer points I’ve been building for 10 years before the Nazis change those also

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                I guess I better get to burning the Antelope and Deer points I’ve been building for 10 years before the Nazis change those also

Nazis huh ? Enjoy your hunt sir. Hope you find someone to help you with info.

Comment

I wish Wyoming would do away with the regular/special licenses and preference points for NR. Especially with 90:10 coming for the rest of the species too.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                    I wish Wyoming would do away with the regular/special licenses and preference points for NR. Especially with 90:10 coming for the rest of the species too.
                    You , me and a lot of other folks feel the same way.
                    Some are saying 90/10 for E, D and A will be hard to get passed but some think it will come soon.
                    Animal numbers need to rebound a little and that talk will be not so loud.

Good deer licenses up this year that weren't there before.

Comment

The reality is that preference points for top 5 shouldn't have been available for a long time for NR. You are just buying a non existing product.
                      There were more than 3,000 applicants with preference points that applied last year for sheep tag for 68 tags total. That is 44 years of backlog at the previous tag level. They should stop selling preference points and split the tags with some going to the high preference point holders and the rest to a random draw and eventually close the PP side and just stick to random draws, at least for sheep and moose.
                      Something needs to be done for antelope/deer and elk or they are going to end up in the same boat. Some of those LQ units are just not possible to draw. Maybe more General license for elk and Deer regions and more random in the LQ.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        You , me and a lot of other folks feel the same way.
                        Some are saying 90/10 for E, D and A will be hard to get passed but some think it will come soon.
                        Animal numbers need to rebound a little and that talk will be not so loud.

Good deer licenses up this year that weren't there before.
                        Points take all the fun out of the drawing process unless it's the year you finally have enough points! Having a slight chance to draw every year is way better.

Opportunity would increase for all NR applicants in WY if they went to random even with a 90:10 split.

Comment

Originally posted by jomw10 View Post
                          The reality is that preference points for top 5 shouldn't have been available for a long time for NR. You are just buying a non existing product.
                          There were more than 3,000 applicants with preference points that applied last year for sheep tag for 68 tags total. That is 44 years of backlog at the previous tag level. They should stop selling preference points and split the tags with some going to the high preference point holders and the rest to a random draw and eventually close the PP side and just stick to random draws, at least for sheep and moose.
                          Something needs to be done for antelope/deer and elk or they are going to end up in the same boat. Some of those LQ units are just not possible to draw. Maybe more General license for elk and Deer regions and more random in the LQ.
                          I dropped out of the WY moose points because I saw it would take 66 years to get to max points based on 2019 tag allocations. I'm good enough at math to know that was a bad deal at 45 years old, plus I saved $300 in point fees for the last 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X