Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Why?
    Fished Galveston lately? It's in just as bad if not worse shape than Matagorda on south. Many many more fishermen too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      The majority of 17-23” fish are females. That’s what makes no sense to me. The fact of the matter is they really don’t want you to keep any fish.

The red fish are really about to take it on the chin.

For the record i am ok with the limit decrease, I just think their slot of choice isn’t smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The way I think about it is like deer hunting, you make the 13" rule so you literally force people to shoot the mature deer. In doing so, you decrease the amount smaller deer shot which decreases the amount of deer shot period. This increases the amount of deer that make it to 13" which creates more mature deer in the heard. If you increase the size trout and reduce the limit it means it gives the population a break in the coming years allowing more fish to reach a larger size.

And yes, this should be state wide.
      Last edited by ram04; 01-28-2022, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
        Fished Galveston lately? It's in just as bad if not worse shape than Matagorda on south. Many many more fishermen too.
        I fish it a lot, and we had a good 2021. There was virtually no fish kill from the freeze, and that's verified by the TP&W surveys.

Comment

I fish it a lot, and we had a good 2021. There was virtually no fish kill from the freeze, and that's verified by the TP&W surveys.
          Our fishery is more to do with flooding since Harvey and fresh water inflows during the past few springs. We fish a lot too and the only part of Galveston that i hear is doing ok (and OK is pushing it)is West Galveston Bay which I don't frequent. East Bay and Trinity Bay as well as Sabine has been terrible. There is small pods of fish scattered around you can catch (those fish are mostly babies) and have a few good days but its no where near normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
            17-23 inches....kill the females
            Would be better to keep 12-15 inch trout, mostly males
            TPW at its best
            Same thing they have done with the flounder regs.

Comment

Originally posted by AmmannsvilleGUY View Post
              I just hope that if the implement something like that then they need to take a hard look at not having it last forever. TP&W is known for taking away limits and never giving them back.

I read somewhere that the TP&W team that takes the survey from you at the boat ramps said something like on average there is just over 1 trout caught per boat that is caught on average. I need to find the article I read on this data and post it. It does make me wonder why there are limits at all.

It will be hard to pay a guide $650 plus tip, or even hook up the boat to the truck and make a trip for three trout from 17 to 23 inches.

I do feel like the floods from the hurricanes and over oystering is not helping the habitat.
              It's a sunset provision that ends in August of 2023 and reverts back to the original size and bag limit. Which was a happy medium as there is large portion of the population of Texas fisherman who would have opted to eliminate keeping any trout for the next one to two years. The committee that TPW goes to for suggestions sent a report indicating bag limits be reduced to two fish and the slot be 16-20. This was the concession.

Comment

I'm sure glad that TX and LA have a reciprocal agreement with fishing licenses for us GOF's! Otherwise, there'd be no need for me to buy that stupid "super-combo" because the fishin' part of it as far as I'm concerned is useless as tits on a boar hog. I love to fish, and there was a long period in my life where I fished 150+ days a year, mostly in saltwater and mostly wading. I like trout (and reds) and I like to EAT TROUT. Now I go maybe 2-3 times a year... this year only went once and took my grandsons out with Capt. Glenn... we had a blast. It's just not fun anymore to me when the most important piece of gear in the boat is a **** ruler!!

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
                  Our fishery is more to do with flooding since Harvey and fresh water inflows during the past few springs. We fish a lot too and the only part of Galveston that i hear is doing ok (and OK is pushing it)is West Galveston Bay which I don't frequent. East Bay and Trinity Bay as well as Sabine has been terrible. There is small pods of fish scattered around you can catch (those fish are mostly babies) and have a few good days but its no where near normal.
                  Hey @snowflakekiller ^^^ remember that conversation

Comment

Well thankfully I live near Sabine and can keep la limits when launching from that side.

Comment

It is what it is.

I'm a guy that gets to fish at the coast 1 or maybe 2 times a year and I love to eat trout.

It's not really worth for me anymore, especially to hire a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        It is what it is.

I'm a guy that gets to fish at the coast 1 or maybe 2 times a year and I love to eat trout.

It's not really worth for me anymore, especially to hire a guide.
                        Many of those who are pushing this think of people who eat fish as low lifes.

Comment

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Who knows.. Time will tell but 5 or 10 trout limits will never be back if I'm a betting man. It's a small brush stroke in the big picture concerning TPWD.. What should concern evryone as outdoorsman in this state is that TPWD is being slowly taken over by the left wing thinkers.. The future could be ugly..

Comment

Well is south west Louisiana wasn't already over fished it certainly will be now.

Comment

Many of those who are pushing this think of people who eat fish as low lifes.
                              Sad, but true
                              Elitist agenda........same people who don’t eat wild game

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                Sad, but true
                                Elitist agenda........same people who don’t eat wild game
                                They just want bragging pictures on their book of faces.

Comment

Working...
                                X