No announcement yet.

tp@wd new trout law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm honestly in favor of this, especially if it proves to help over the course of a couple of years.

But I'm with several of you. If we are going to a tighter slot, why don't we move it to 15-20"? I don't feel that fish over 20" should be included.

Comment

Before long CCA will have you sportsmen catching and releasing only with barbless hooks and fly rods
      Last edited by Leemo; 01-28-2022, 07:53 AM. Reason: Space

Comment

just got back from Matagorda. didnt catch a single trout would have been happy with 3 I guess the solution is to head to the surf and catch whiting and a few red, there's no limit on whiting. Bad part I can't imagine how a trout guide stays in business. Maybe I'm naive

Comment

I know this is a very conspiracy theorist take, but hear me out.

If they would have made the slot 14”-19” and 3 fish a lot more fish would be caught and kept. my theory on this is the smaller fish make up more of the population making them easier to catch. A limit is 3 fish with a slot of 17-23 makes it much more difficult for a angler to fill their limits in return having even less fish kept.

I don’t think I’m that far off on this line of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We get a few dry springs numbers will rebound drastically, especially on the upper coast. But if barbless hooks and fly rods are what it takes to ensure a healthy fishery for my kids and grandkids in the future then lets go fly fishing. It ain't about food anymore.

Comment

One thing that you can count on, there will be a whole bunch of guides moving into Galveston and Sabine from further south hammering the upper coast fish. For every action, there is an unintended consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

If they would have made the slot 14”-19” and 3 fish a lot more fish would be caught and kept. my theory on this is the smaller fish make up more of the population making them easier to catch. A limit is 3 fish with a slot of 17-23 makes it much more difficult for a angler to fill their limits in return having even less fish kept.

Yes, you give the majority of the population time to grow a few extra season before hitting the ice chest, which literally means keeping less for the next couple years. No conspiracy.

Comment

Wouldn't doubt it one bit!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    One thing that you can count on, there will be a whole bunch of guides moving into Galveston and Sabine from further south hammering the upper coast fish. For every action, there is an unintended consequence.
                    And when they get to Galveston and Sabine they will find out the population is down here too lol. You can catch pencils all day but who wants that?

Comment

They are basically making the 13" rule like in east Texas but for trout.

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
                        Yes, you give the majority of the population time to grow a few extra season before hitting the ice chest, which literally means keeping less for the next couple years. No conspiracy.

The majority of 17-23” fish are females. That’s what makes no sense to me. The fact of the matter is they really don’t want you to keep any fish.

The red fish are really about to take it on the chin.

For the record i am ok with the limit decrease, I just think their slot of choice isn’t smart.

Comment

I don't think your far off either. It will make it more difficult for folks to keep them and I'm sure they thought that through also. Pressure shifted south a couple years back when Galveston was full of fresh water, this will surely move it north.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                            Yes and no....sexual maturity just means an animal can start reproducing, doesn’t mean the mass does, the food/protein conversion of females is exponentially higher, therefore the females outgrow this length(12-15) very quickly, therefore not targeted. It’s simple , larger female equals more eggs
                            One large female produces more eggs than one small female. The spawning biomass of females 12-15” is much, much greater than that of 17”-23” fish.

Comment

Should have done the whole coast

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                                Should have done the whole coast
                                Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X