No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked the tanks on my way for evening deer hunt yesterday. Saw two small groups on one tank. The other tanks, nada. I hope this weekend's cooler weather brings some back down here.

Comment

Hopefully lined up one more Oklahoma trip up in a couple weeks! I like those easy hunts!

Comment

Hunted poc this morning , no birds down there not even redheads !

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
          Hunted poc this morning , no birds down there not even redheads !

Same. I fished yesterday morning and hunted yesterday afternoon. Never seen so few ducks down here and I’ve been hunting here for 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Smashed them today with Cajun Ginger.

Fell short of a 2 man by 2.Pin tail, mallard, cans, and teal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              Smashed them today with Cajun Ginger.

Fell short of a 2 man by 2.Pin tail, mallard, cans, and teal.

Been duck hunting for 50+ years and never even seen a can while I was hunting. It's on my bucket list.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                Been duck hunting for 50+ years and never even seen a can while I was hunting. It's on my bucket list.
                We were covered in them. Had 6 more flocks land in decoys and couldn't shoot. Already had our limit.

Comment

Got 5 teal at my place in young county today. Not seeing near the normal numbers of birds on ponds.

Comment

I only saw one pond of 4, with ducks today. But it was covered!

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                      Same. I fished yesterday morning and hunted yesterday afternoon. Never seen so few ducks down here and I’ve been hunting here for 40 years.

Think the mangroves dying off plays another part in it?

Comment

Hopefully, with this front coming in, we'll get some birds down here in the next 48 hours. I'm looking forward to the cooler temps this next week.

Just wish I was still on vacation next week.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	97B3C7A1-751E-48EA-99D9-B990EAABE9C0.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	24673353
                          Wacked em

Comment

If we don’t get a good push tomorrow morning, it ain’t happening.

We’ve been doing ok but I’m hoping tomorrow turns the tide.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                              If we don’t get a good push tomorrow morning, it ain’t happening.

We’ve been doing ok but I’m hoping tomorrow turns the tide.
                              Sad, but true.

Comment

Decided to try an afternoon hunt down in Arroyo City to start of the year. Really hoping that some birds were coming down ahead of this front.
                                First ones in were a couple widgeon. I got mine, my tagalong can't shoot lol. After a while I figured out that the wind wasn't going to shift, so we moved to the other side of the mudhole we were in. Things changed then. Had teal landing in our decoys from who knows where. Pintails checking us out and redhead groups of 50+ were starting to swing by. I was looking for wall birds. So only took 3.
                                Pair of redheads came in as I was chasing down a duck taken by my buddy and I was about to drill the first one when I noticed the second was a decent drake. Took him instead.
                                Went to retrieve him, it really sucked in knee deep mud lol. When I reached down, saw movement out the corner of my eye. A bull pintail was coming in low and slow. Took my shot, brought him down but not out. Took about an hour to finally get close enough to finish him. Watch put me at a little over ½ mile walk. That sucked in that mud. I really need to figure out how to carry my kayak with me lol
                                Buddy took a few bluewing and a pintail hen. Not bad for a guy who I've only seen hit 1 or of 10 shots... lol

On the way back to the dock, my tagalong and I noticed a smaller boat heading in that seemed to be having trouble. About 3 miles from the ramp down the Arroyo Colorado. We swung back and asked if he needed help. Said that the outboard was acting funny and he couldn't go any faster. At 6mph, it was going to be a long trip. I told them that I'd follow behind to light the way and help in case something happened. They accepted and off we went. About a mile from the ramp, I guess they got desperate, cause they stopped and raised the outboard. Maybe looking for something wrapped up??? Found nothing, then IT HAPPENED.
                                The occupants were 2 adults and a child of about 10. The boat was a 17' narrow skiff with low sides. Both adults stepped to the same side of the boat. Usually not too big of a danger. Yet in this case, one of the adults was 400+. Gunnel went under and took on so much water in an instant, that the boat was pretty much under in the 10 seconds it took me to run up alongside them. The kid was thrown onto my boat, the big dude belly flopped onto my deck and the other adult stepped onto my boat and their stern went completely under. Got them balanced out and the owner tied a rope to his bow and we slowly started towing it in. Boat was well designed and it drained itself as we moved forward.
                                After we got them trailered and on their way, I went to admire my Pintail. I about started crying. Seems that in the rush to get onboard, someone stepped on and ripped most of the feathers off one wing. I won't be able to get the mount I want, and it may not be salvageable at all. If it is, I'll pose him another way. Just the story alone is worth the money for the mount.
                                And, if that is the price that was asked to get those folks safely back on dry land, well I'll gladly pay it 100 times over. But it still broke my heart lol.

It was a heck of a start to the new year and 3rd Coast Taxidermy said he can save the mount so that's a plus

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X