2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Dang! That buck looks like he's starvin' to death!! He's pooooor!!
    It does appear that way in the picture but he is really pretty healthy. He’s been running hard and still is today.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      Folks are going to hang onto this “deer have too much to eat” thing forever. It’s mid December, whether it’s warm, cold or woods loaded with acorns the deer sightings in east Texas are going to be down for another couple weeks. It happens every single year and it will happen again next year and the year after that….
      That's true. I'd like to know where they hell they go during this time. LOL It seems like some mysterious black hole swallows them up and then spits them back out at the end of the month.

On a side note, it's so warm we're actually getting another cutting of hay on our farm as I type this.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        That's true. I'd like to know where they hell they go during this time. LOL It seems like some mysterious black hole swallows them up and then spits them back out at the end of the month.

On a side note, it's so warm we're actually getting another cutting of hay on our farm as I type this.
        I’ve always called it the black hole as well! because you don’t see tracks, you don’t bump deer and you sure don’t see them. It’s almost as if they don’t exist… yet between Dec 25 - end of season they seem to pop back up to where it’s it’s actually worth sitting out there and looking for them. I’m very curious to see what happens this year I have a food plot in the back that just has not been touched I mean the oats are so high I’m thinking about cutting them with a lawnmower. Last year it was similar, maybe not to such an extreme, but we did see deer on that food plot the last week of the season including legal bucks that got the pass.

Comment

I still see deer, but the bucks are changing patterns and range again. New ones will show, some that come here mid December year after year. Some I thought were dead that have been gone since hard horned will return home soon.
          I love this time of year.

You may get a surprise buck you’ve never seen still after the doe or a target buck thats been gone 3 months and ran ragged who’s just come back home to where he knows a meal is waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            I was always under the impression youpon was pretty far down on the deer’s preferred browse list? Lord knows I sure have plenty of it on my place.
            2nd choice browse plant in most of E Texas. They will get eaten, but if they are getting hammered, it tells you about your population.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              I have also seen doe's eat on the Beautyberry's.

I think they are on their last resort when eating those two.

Or maybe craving another nutrient of some sort.

J
              First to second choice browse plant in most of E Texas. Not a last resort plant.
              Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-16-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                I still see deer, but the bucks are changing patterns and range again. New ones will show, some that come here mid December year after year. Some I thought were dead that have been gone since hard horned will return home soon.
                I love this time of year.

You may get a surprise buck you’ve never seen still after the doe or a target buck thats been gone 3 months and ran ragged who’s just come back home to where he knows a meal is waiting.

We also see this. It typically doesn’t happen for another couple weeks or a month from now, but seems to be happening early this year.

We have a few deer that have just up and changed zip codes on us but are still able to track with members reporting bucks others have said have disappeared on them.

I have one from last year that hasn’t popped up yet for last year, I am hoping to run into him soon (fingers crossed)

Comment

I haven't hunted since the 1st week in December. Deer were HUNGRY then. My son just got back from a few days of pig wrecking. Deer are at the feeder when it spins and fighting over it.

2 free choice feeders of protein and sweet feed gone

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    First to second choice browse plant in most of E Texas. Not a last resort plant.
                    I have a stand set up on several acres of beautyberry. You won't find many berries or leaves within a deer's reach.

Lots of beautyberry sprouting up in our clearcuts and seems to be their first choice, even passing up corn to eat it.

Comment

Filled my Gregg Co. tag this morning at 8am

Comment

I saw it this morning and realized I haven’t seen a deer tagged before the pictures are taken in a long time. Good on you sir. And again congrats on an awesome buck.

Comment

Thats a great buck. Love those dark antlers.

Comment

Big ole buck. Beauty! Congratulation on a goodun!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool.

Congrats on the buck.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

Agreed, Easily one of the top desired foliage of etx deer, you have a beauty berry patch HUNT IT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X