Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

I have some property in East TX and leased out the grazing rights to a local cattle guy on the property for a few years. He is running probably double the head that he should have on the property and it is starting to show, he feeds hay but it isnt really helping the land.

In the lease agreement it states he is responsible for providing the cattle water, food and fencing. I have a well on the property and a 1 acre tank that currently is full of water.

I have asked him to pull off cows for a number of years now but I never get a straight answer, or him to remove cows. I went ahead and cut water off to the cattle troughs from my well at the end of the year to let him know that I am serious knowing that the cattle can still get water from the tank. Any other thoughts on how I could push him to get some cattle off of the property, asking nicely isnt working?

How long was the lease for? Mine are renewed every 3 years

Comment

Ask forcefully,.... but don't play little "I'll turn off the water " games.

Comment

Kick him off. I always have a contract that states the expectations of both parties and what happens if they are not met. Writing always makes it easy to come back and help remind everyone what the original agreement was.

Comment

How many cows and how many acres?

Comment

do you not have anything in your lease agreement about overgrazing?

Comment

Without a set number of cattle listed in the contract the cattleman can run as many or as few as he wants. The only thing you can do is amend the next agreement/contract to include a set number of livestock or just don’t give him the option to renew. Unfortunately that is your only two options other than approach him with your request again and let him know if your request is not honored you will not be renewing his lease.

Micheal

Comment

Its your land tell him what you want. If he dont like it, someone else will. Tell him to get to packing if your contract allows it. if not when lease agreement is up tell him.

Comment

Don't know if it does any good but here's a chart to show how many head/ acre. Your county might have a livestock commissioner or officer that can tell you how many head/acre you can have for grazing legally.
                  Attached Files

Comment

We had a couple sections leased to one man and he over grazed it and I kicked him off, it took over $25,000 to fix what he screwed up so don’t beat around the bush with him. He knows what he’s doing and he’s simply running your property into the dirt “Literally” and he probably has plans to walk away after it’s beyond his abilities to repair. These days you have to watch out for your own issues and guys are trying to milk every penny out of what they have to work with on leased ground and that normally ends up costing the land owner. After this situation I check our stuff weekly and I have a zero tolerance policy, one warning and after that your gone.

Comment

I am a couple years into a 5 year lease. I dont have a set number of cattle written into the lease, my thought was if I control the water, I can control the amount of head on the property. He states that he doesnt have anywhere else to take them and I am creating a hardship. I have asked nicely for about 6 months now and am thinking about pumping the tank dry if I have to.

Comment

Start by telling him the lease won't be renewed this year. Give him 45 days to remove all of his cows. I wouldn't play games with him . It sounds like he doesn't respect you or your opinion of your property

He does have a place to take them . It's call the sale barn.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I am a couple years into a 5 year lease. I dont have a set number of cattle written into the lease, my thought was if I control the water, I can control the amount of head on the property. He states that he doesnt have anywhere else to take them and I am creating a hardship. I have asked nicely for about 6 months now and am thinking about pumping the tank dry if I have to.
                          Your land, your liability to repair!!! He would be gone immediately if I owned it and he was over the carrying capacity of the property. It’s his own problem for running more cattle then he has land for, he would have 30 days to vacate the property by means of a lawyers letter.

Comment

Something to consider from this point forward is leasing by the head instead of the acre.

Comment

Most contracts in the state of Texas have a 30 day written notice, I would look into that first with your lawyer.

Think long and hard before draining ponds and turning water off.

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X