Educate me- lawn hydroseeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me- lawn hydroseeding

Any do it or have done it? We finished our Montana house (God bless Texas!) and have about 2 acres of range land I want to grow native grass on the dirt we brought in for grading, the areas construction equipment and the mess the power company made running power from the road.

I’m frankly tired of begging local guys to come and give me a multiple thousand dollar quote. Renting the equipment is not an option- nobody does it.

Based on a phone call quote, I think I can buy the equipment and supplies for about the cost of paying to have it done. Spend a couple days spraying the green mulch-seed-‘glue’-fertilizer mix and then sell it.

Anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had it done at my house, just the front ~1AC or so. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than sod and came in nicely, but you need irrigation I think, or get ready to water the heck out of it.

Comment

following. my back and side yards need it badddd

Comment

I've done it many times
        I built my own machine w a trash pump too... the parts can all be found online.
        if you want to be a cheap azzz like me just find a 400 gal IBC tote and use that for the slurry and buy the nozzle adapter for a 2in hose... it must be the special hose they sell for higher pressure. Also a good nozzle is a must.

Comment

some Bermuda I sprayed
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kingranch; 05-06-2021, 11:58 PM.

Comment

pm me if you want more details
            I'd be glad to answer any questions for ya

Comment

If it's relatively flat, not much slope you don't kneed to hydro seed it. Just broadcast the seed with fertilizer. Cost you about 1/4 of the price.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

I had pretty good luck hand throwing hulled bermuda seed and watering in. Went from a mud hole to having some good grass coming in within a few weeks. You might try that as its much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

works great. kept my dirt from washing away around my shop after I had it built. just have to make sure you water as directed.

Comment

you can try just broadcasting as long as you can get some dirt over the seed...I've done it both ways.
                    In my experience/opinion a large bag of good quality Bermuda was 400$ and you get about 4x the germination from hydroseeding vs just broadcasting... too much $ to waste

if you do buy Bermuda make sure it's hulled already

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      pm me if you want more details
                      I'd be glad to answer any questions for ya

PM sent with my phone #. Thank you sir.

More details. I’m on Non ag land, rocky with more rock underneath, poor soil at best. Was used 20 years ago for a winter cattle area with hay trucked in daily. We brought in 50 dump loads of powdery clay from a ranch below leveling an area to build up the final grade, it’s referred to as ‘moon dust’. We get afternoon winds on a sunny day of 20+ mph, which will blow seed around/away. Plus the local Antelopes will eat it

By the time I add better soil, hand sew seed, figure out if straw could be applied (and not blow away) and then buy another 10 sprinklers on tripods to keep it wet.,... hydro seeding with the mulch, glue (tackifier technically) and fertilizer would cover the area.

Water daily but less.

Economics- 70k sq feet at 10 to 15 cents per sq ft contracted out. About 5 cents per sq ft my cost for materials. $3,300 for unit delivered, in stock 3-4 days to ship. Sell it afterwards. I have our son’s skid steer with forks to move the hydroseeding equipment around (250# dry).

The guy who quoted me 10 cents per sq foot said water from our well at 20 gpm would take too long to fill his truck’s tank. He wants access to a fire hydrant, a pond or creek- I don’t have access to any.

I’ve got a quote coming for a ton of mulch (40, 50# bags) directly from a distributor. Then I can look at the nimbers.

Comment

If your going to hydro mulch call champions and ask for Tim.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for advise.

After doing far too much research and talking to local folks (most who never call you back), we decided to hand broadcast seed and fertilizer and water it- see what we can do.

Comment

You can do the work and get the results that you want. After all, you live there and can take care of it. It may take two growing seasons or more to get it exactly like you want it to look. Unless you HAVE to have it done right now, you can do the work for less than anyone. Y'all have the vision for what you are looking to achieve. The contractors have a vision of $$$$.

By the way y'all have a beautiful place that you should enjoy for a loooonng time.

Comment

Thank you.

Want to buy my old lawn mower? You don’t mow prairie grasses

Comment

Working...
                              X