Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting the Guadalupe River from Kayak - anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting the Guadalupe River from Kayak - anyone done this?

Found a spot with public access that has a load of large hogs and exotics. Was reading where rivers that are navigable are free game for hunting unless they are listed on TP&W as restricted (Guadalupe is not on the list). I can gain access via kayak and hunt from kayak. Would have to bait right along the water’s edge and then pray the shot was solid and the animal didn’t run up into private property. I know people who have done this for ducks, but has anyone done it for hogs and exotics? Would it be best to just contact the GW and discuss legalities with him/her or just forget it? I’ve got a couple places to hunt, but just curious as to the legalities and logistics of such hunting and if anyone else has done it with success? Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd talk to the GW.
    I have a buddy that tried that on a river (not sure where) for deer.
    He got a nice ticket for it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

....and hunting without landowner consent can now be prosecuted as a felony.

Comment

I wouldn't try it unless it was public land on both sides of the river. Landowners can get pretty testy, and rightly so.

Comment

Big NO!!

Comment

The law says you can walk wherever the highest recorded water mark is, I certainly wouldn’t try what you propose.

Comment

From TP&W website. Seems they divert from answering the question fully.

Comment

Everyone I know that has river property would consider you a poacher. Best case scenario would be they would call sheriffs and game warden and you’d get your answer on the legality of what you’re doing.

Then again some of these landowner guys are the ones that ran flat bottom boats up and down the rivers shooting coons and selling the hides. But that was the 1970’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                  The law says you can walk wherever the highest recorded water mark is, I certainly wouldn’t try what you propose.
                  This is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Big NO!!
                    Yep big no no people have tried and failed for years, see it
                    Here in Kendall county, and fools try to beat the laws on the coast
                    ( Kennedy, Willacy ) king and Kennedy ranch’s

Comment

Not worth the trouble then. Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                        Last two guys who walked on my highest water mark went straight to jail. Woulda been a third but he was a kid and got to go home to mommy.

Comment

If you could hint Hight water line. I would claim the water level of Moses and the Arc and go to town. Lots of shells in the hills to prove that.

Ducks would be good to go but no large game as they would be standing on private property

Comment

Originally posted by Take em View Post
                            If you could hint Hight water line. I would claim the water level of Moses and the Arc and go to town. Lots of shells in the hills to prove that.

Ducks would be good to go but no large game as they would be standing on private property

How do you keep your steel shot from trespassing?

Comment

Shoot straight up[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                              X