Black eyed peas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black eyed peas?

We finally have 2020 behind us and somehow there isn’t a single black eyed peas recipe on the entire first page of the recipe section?

Let’s hear ‘em

Open can, heat in pan, salt to taste. All I have.
    Happy New Year

Comment

They are so nasty.

Comment

Bacon japaleno hot sauce salt and pepper

Comment

Someone cooked some at the lease the night before last and they included ham, cabbage, mushrooms, and onions. It was fantastic. I don’t have the recipe, but I’m gonna try to figure it out.

Comment

Cover 1lb blackeye peas for 3 to 4 hrs. Dice 1/4 onion. Slice 6 pieces bacon. 1/4 cup ham pieces. 1 teaspoon minced garlic. Quart and half of chicken broth. 5 dashes lea and perrin worsteshire sauce. Teaspoon of liquid smoke. Cut up bacon and add ham and onion to pot om medium high. Do not fry bacon to crispy. Add garlic and 1/4cup chicken broth. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir constantly so you don't burn garlic. Add peas and water peas were sokin in. Add worsteshire sauce and liquid smoke and rest of chicken broth. Stir. Cover and bring to a boil and let boil for 30 minutes. Lower heat to medium and cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Make corn bread and enjoy

Comment

Mine today. Cook in cast iron pot.

Cook 3-4 slices of bacon, saute onions, jalapeños,bells, garlic in grease, add in sliced sausage (i had homemade wild hog link), cook the sausage done, add in soaked overnight peas and a box of chicken stock, Tony's and parsley for seasonings. Cook covered for a couple hours on low.

Comment

Big pot on the stove right now. Collards, stuffed pork chops, corn bread and Mac n cheese. Gotta eat good now before Monday reality sets in and I have to get back to eating better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by meangreen04 View Post
                  Someone cooked some at the lease the night before last and they included ham, cabbage, mushrooms, and onions. It was fantastic. I don’t have the recipe, but I’m gonna try to figure it out.
                  This ^^^

Comment

Nasty

Comment

Cook diced bacon and onion, garlic and some fresh thyme. Once bacon is crispy add in peas, cover in stock, add in some smoked sausage or neck bones, simmer for about 45min- hour

Pretty similar with how we do greens.

Comment

Every Jan 1st for last 60 years. Soooo good.

Comment

Black eyed peas , corn bread , and cabbage . I look forward to it every year !

Comment

I don't wait for new years. There are few meals I like better than black eyed peas, fried okra (cooked right), sliced tomato, and onion.
                            Also like black eyed peas, rice and gravy, and fried chicken.
                            OR, fried okra, rice, and peas w/ onion of course.

Comment

OP, so glad you posted this as I was wondering the same thing myself while standing over the stove stirring a big pot of black-eyed peas.

For me, it’s “less is more” when it comes to black-eyed peas. I sauté onions in bacon grease, then add (fresh, if I can get them) black-eyed peas, water, then throw in a big ol’ ham bone. Salt, black pepper, white pepper, crushed red pepper, then let it simmer for a while. After about an hour, I scrape some ham bits off the bone before removing the bone, add a little chicken bouillon (mostly for the MSG it provides), simmer for another 15 minutes or so, then serve.

I particularly love it when I can find fresh BEPs with snaps, but this is a rarity these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X