X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have friends with a place in SeaDrift that sweats by KW’s

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      This #emptystringer BS is absolutely ridiculous.

And that knot head who ownes Kelly Wigglers pushing it hard... last time I bought a KW lure I was throwing a Zebco 202 wearing parachute pants and Kangaroo shoes.
      If he's using Wigglers he's probably used to empty stringers already.
      edit: We're also gonna need pics of these parachute pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
        I don't think so at all. Far from it.

Some are already coming out and saying they are gonna go on business as usual and that they are gonna get theirs. But most of the guys I know who are well established and realistic about things are actually looking forward to more catch and release, keep what you need for a meal and release the rest, fewer dead pile pics, etc. And if the trout numbers end up weak most of us will be putting more pressure on other species when possible. We really aren't buffalo hunters. Most of us want more catch and release anyway. It's been long overdue. But it is hard to change the mindset in the general public down at the level of the twice a year anglers. Maybe this will make more people aware and receptive to it.
        I hope so Glenn. And the guide part of my comment was is no way directed towards you. You have said all along what your intentions are and I agree completely with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          I don't think so at all. Far from it.

Some are already coming out and saying they are gonna go on business as usual and that they are gonna get theirs. But most of the guys I know who are well established and realistic about things are actually looking forward to more catch and release, keep what you need for a meal and release the rest, fewer dead pile pics, etc. And if the trout numbers end up weak most of us will be putting more pressure on other species when possible. We really aren't buffalo hunters. Most of us want more catch and release anyway. It's been long overdue. But it is hard to change the mindset in the general public down at the level of the twice a year anglers. Maybe this will make more people aware and receptive to it.
          I’m in line with you. I eat fish and will string dinner often but I haven’t taken a stringer pic in years (my boys still do on occasion so don’t hang me if you see one with me in it). I’ve been at this a long time, don’t need to fill stringers or freezers to enjoy it but really don’t want the state to tell me what I need to keep either, 5/3 is good enough IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            This #emptystringer BS is absolutely ridiculous.

And that knot head who ownes Kelly Wigglers pushing it hard... last time I bought a KW lure I was throwing a Zebco 202 wearing parachute pants and Kangaroo shoes.

Like he's relative or something... didn't even know they still existed. What's he doing selling everything he makes to his brother in law or something?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
            If you ain't throwing strawberry and white you ain't right

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mexico View Post
              and that knot head who ownes kelly wigglers pushing it hard... Last time i bought a kw lure i was throwing a zebco 202 wearing parachute pants and kangaroo shoes.

hahahaaaaa!!!!!!!

Last edited by Quackerbox; 02-25-2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                If you ain't throwing strawberry and white you ain't right

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                All day baby...

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our saying was "If all else fails throw strawberry."

Comment

I'm an unabashed trout eater. We ate what we caught last year. Nothing went to waste. I generally release really large trout simply because they don't taste as good. You have a right to do what you want and promote what you want, but I will continue to keep and eat trout, because I enjoy it. As I stated above, if there are fewer fish, fewer will be caught. It's simple math.

Comment

Definitely will be fewer fish for a while in the bays. For the people that have fished through these winter kills in the past how long will it take to recover for numbers of trout? Two years more or less? I know large fish will take longer to replace.

How much fish movement between gulf and bay happens on trout?

Comment

Depends on if all age classes were affected or not. In East Matagorda we've seen a bunch of dead big fish, but were those the ones that were too old and ornery to migrate to deep water? Is so then it will be even harder to catch a big one for a few years but should have no trouble finding slot fish. If all the schoolies were affected too, well they say a 20" trout is 4 years old. You do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                          Definitely will be fewer fish for a while in the bays. For the people that have fished through these winter kills in the past how long will it take to recover for numbers of trout? Two years more or less? I know large fish will take longer to replace.

How much fish movement between gulf and bay happens on trout?
                          About 2 years to see decent fishing again ,depending on how big the kill really is. After the 80 freezes the 1st year you could grind most of the day & if you had 3 trout it was a great day. Next year was better,but still below summer before freeze.

Comment

I'm curious from another angle, trout food. How's the cold effect shrimp and all the tiny bait fishes the trout fry and adolescent fish grow up on? If there's plenty of food and less competition for it I'd imagine the youngens would thrive quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              I'm curious from another angle, trout food. How's the cold effect shrimp and all the tiny bait fishes the trout fry and adolescent fish grow up on? If there's plenty of food and less competition for it I'd imagine the youngens would thrive quite well.
                              Bait will rebound quicker than the predators. There will be enough to meet their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                                About 2 years to see decent fishing again ,depending on how big the kill really is. After the 80 freezes the 1st year you could grind most of the day & if you had 3 trout it was a great day. Next year was better,but still below summer before freeze.
                                Exactly right.

Comment

Working...
                                X