School me on Brush Cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Brush Cutters

The brush on our place seems to be winning!

I'm looking at the string trimmer type but made/set up with a blade for cutting stuff bigger than weeds.

And it looks like there are enough options that I'm getting a bit confused.

Here are a few of the things I don't understand.

1) Is there any difference between a string trimmer & a brush cutter other than what is on the cutting end?

2). I have an Echo GT225. Can I just convert it to a brush cutter and if so, how big of a pain is that, as I will still need it primarily as a weed wacker.

3). If #2 is a no go, recommend a good brush cutter - hopefully Echo brand (or equivalent). I'm thinking something in the $300-$400 range. Not a fan of Stihl homeowner grade stuff - I do want it to start after year 2.

How much land are you talking? In a couple days I cut almost 4 acres of sumac, youpon, sweet gum and other undesirable plants. I left all good pines and oaks. This took me a couple of days with. DR 26" Pro. I really liked it but it is not in your price range. It was very impressive to me what it can do.

Comment

Guess I should have added, I'm just looking to keep pathways clear. They get more narrow by the year as the brush tries to take over.

Comment

Need to give us more info so we can help you.

Are you talking about mounting a brush cutter blade to your weed eater? How much are you wanting to cut? What is the biggest size branch you are trying to clear? What type of brush? (i.e. yaupon, cedar, etc...)

Comment

Yep, one of those DR field and brush mowers is just like a walk behind bush hog... I was cutting huisache 6-8 foot tall and 1 1/2-2" diameter with my 30" pro... essentially if you can push the brush over with the mower (it's self propelled), it will not only cut it down, but chop it up in little pieces almost like mulch... Flat out amazing machine. I tried a string trimmer with a saw blade attachment, and it worked for small areas like around a stand or feeder... but if you've got a lot of ground to clear, invest in one of those DR's. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

You’re going to want a straight trimmer to keep the head a little bit further away from you. My cousins refuse to use the brush cutter for fear of taking out their ankles. I’m using a Stihl FS90R with the 3 blade brush head on it. It will clear small mesquite, youpon and similar. Sometimes it takes a couple whacks to cut through stuff thicker than about 1.5 inches.

It does get tangled up with thicker grass and vines. I haven’t tried the saw blade head, just the tri-blade one.
            Last edited by texaspyro21; 11-19-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Looking to cut up to maybe 1" limbs, small trees, vines - just all the stuff that a weed eater won't do but a chain saw is a bit much for.

Comment

KX, for what you're doing, get the 8-tooth blade for your Echo and go at it.
                I use the same setup and when I need the string for grass, just convert it back.
                But the 8-tooth saw blade will cut the big stuff up to 1" easily, especially when its green. Will save you money and get the job done.
                ( and you're right, the Echo is pretty trouble-free, maintenance wise.)

Comment

What about the club cadet walk behind
                  I am not sure if you can add a different head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep it simple. By a 25gal spray tank and the chemicals you need. You’ll hate that trimmer after an hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X