1/2 Ton Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 Ton Trucks

With age comes wanting to be more comfortable. So I am going to go with a half ton truck. Wanting something that gets good to great gas mileage. Looking at the Dodge 1500 but then the ecodiesel caught my attention. Anyone have one? Do they have decent power and dependable? Do they still require def fluid like most diesels?

I've never owned one, but know they come with the same headaches and costs as the big diesel. People claim they get good mileage, but they never seem to hand calc to determine their actual mileage. Cost of maintenance is higher than a gas too, and you don't really get any additional towing capability.

For what it's worth, I have a 2020 Hellcat with the top of the line interior, and I would say while it looks awesome, I don't think it will last near as long as my 2012 F-250 interior has lasted. The leather is very soft, which is great now, but I don't see it being that good in say 5 years.

That said, if you want one, go for it! Life is too short to not get what you want sometimes.

Comment

A lease mate and TBH lurker bought one the first year they came out. I was a total P>O>S> He had it in the shop for 2 year more than he drove it. Might have been a isolated case but it was a lemon!

Comment

Thanks. Kinda what I was thinking as well.

Comment

Get an F150...quality build, comfortable and more towing power than the old 3/4 tons.

Comment

Not sure on the diesels. Have the 17 ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 and I get 21 hwy and 15 to 18 city. Oh and by the way if you get a gas one dont let them tell you that the hemi "tick" is normal. Insist its fixed under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
              Not sure on the diesels. Have the 17 ram 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 and I get 21 hwy and 15 to 18 city. Oh and by the way if you get a gas one dont let them tell you that the hemi "tick" is normal. Insist its fixed under warranty.

4wd? I've never even sniffed 20 in my '16 1500(4wd)

Comment

Nope sorry 2wd. Forgot to include that

Comment

Not a diesel but I have the Nissan Titan XD. Really like it. It’s a half ton that acts like a 3/4. Drives great, pulls good, and gets 17mpg. 2018 no problems yet. 70000 miles.

Comment

I have an 18 F150 4x4 with the 3.0l diesel. I get about 25mpg average driving around Houston. It’s quite and pulls good. (30k miles on it now) I highly recommend it.

Comment

2018 Nissan Titan SV 92k on it right now. I get approx 16 mpg but I have a very heavy right foot. No problems with the truck so far, oil and tires rotated every 5-7k miles.

Comment

Why not a Toyota Tundra? You can get a v6, I believe, if you don't need the v8. Last practically forever.

Comment

I have an ‘18 ecodiesel. Best truck I’ve owned so far. Best interior, smoothest ride hands down in a truck. 25 mpg in the city. 27-32 mpg on the highway. Pulling my blue wave , I turn 20 mpg. Pulling my cargo trailer or horse trailer 17-19 mpg. Filters/ maintenance is1/2 what it was in my f-250. The only thing it is not is a speed demon- it’s acceleration is not super fast. Which is not a priority with me- rather have the torque and the mileage. I hear the 2020’s get even better mileage and more power.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                            With age comes wanting to be more comfortable. So I am going to go with a half ton truck. Wanting something that gets good to great gas mileage. Looking at the Dodge 1500 but then the ecodiesel caught my attention. Anyone have one? Do they have decent power and dependable? Do they still require def fluid like most diesels?
                            went to mena arkansas last weekend, pulled my ranger on a 12ft utility trailer. 1500 ram with a 5.7 hemi. A buddy of mine went with us. He also pulled a ranger on a 12 ft utility trailer. I averaged 13.9 mpg, running 65-70 mph. My buddy has a 1500 with an eco diesel and averaged almost 16mpg. Personally, to me, the extra money for the diesel isnt worth an extra 2 mpg. the diesel may get a few extra mpg not towing anything, but diesel costs more. are you really saving anything? diesel parts cost more. aint gotta buy DEF for a gas rig. kinda averages out.

my truck gets 22 mpg if i dont drive like a bat outta hail

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post

what is the hemi tick?

Comment

Working...
                              X