N.F. long story and pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N.F. long story and pic

Oct 8 was a good day to be in the woods. It was just after daylight, and I had been in my climber for less than 20 minutes. Movement caught my eye and I looked up to see a spike and a young 8 coming my way. I had bought a new Matthews this season, and was eager to put some meat on the ground. I decided the spike would get it. he makes it to 40yrd coming in on a string, when out of nowhere, he spooks and takes off. The young 8 is just as confused as me and slowly walks away. Two uneventful hours pass, and all hell breaks loose. A doe comes running full blast. Zigging and zagging, tearing thru the thicket. A wide 10 is right on her tail, chasing her hard. They bust out of the thicket and dart right passed me at 30yrds. It happened so fast. I wasn't ready. Never even got to draw my bow. All of a sudden, another buck comes tearing thru, chasing the other two. And he is way bigger than the first buck. He is coming fast, but this time I'm ready. I draw immediately and mouth grunt him to a stop at 30 yrds. He stops right behind a tree, no shot, he takes off. I grunt louder and he stops again, 50 yrds quarting away and looks behind him. A pine tree is covering most of his front shoulder. I want to, but know Im too shaken to make this shot. I let my bow down and watch my arrow take a 10yrd nose dive, and he's gone.
    Fast forward a couple of weeks, same spot, upper 40's, 20 mph winds and drizzling rain. I'm miserable in my climber and at 9 I decided to get down and sneak around the edges of the thicket. I had been sneaking for about 45 min, and made it about 200 yrds, when I see movement in the thicket, 15 yrds in front of me. I see horns, big ones. It was the first time all season that I had left the new Matthews at home and brought the crossbow. The moment the scope came to my eye the buck cocked his head over for a better look at me and the cross hairs were right next to his throat patch. My finger acted before my brain, and I pulled the trigger. I heard the pop and he took off. I was instantly kicking my self for not trying to drop down into his vitals. But I knew it was the only shot I was going to get, and I took it. I also knew I had just drilled one of my best bucks ever.
    In the end the muzzy trocar broke his neck and left a blood trail a blind man could follow. And he was the same buck I had missed my chance at weeks earlier.
    Attached Files

Nice buck, congrats!

Comment

Thats a great buck! Congrats!

Sent from my LM-X410.FG using Tapatalk

Comment

DUDE!!! That beast of a deer, from the ground, on public land?!?!

Hell yes!!!! Congrats

Comment

Man what a buck!
          Congrats on a great accomplishment

Comment

That's awesome

Comment

Congratulations to you!

Comment

Very nice buck, Congrats!

Comment

Job well done. That's a hoss.

Comment

Congrats !

Comment

Congrats. Nice buck

Comment

Good story and great public land buck. Congratulations!

Comment

man o man o man o man....the shakes. At least you were on the ground and could not fall out of the tree.

Great buck.

Comment

Enjoyed the recap and congrats on the N.F. buck.

Rwc

Comment

Very nice. Congrats on a great buck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X