Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
    Both renewables (wind and solar) out performed their projections for the occurrence period. Not sure of the exact numbers. State grid had some congestion on a few 345 kV transmission lines (one coming in from Deep South and two from the panhandle) that limited the amount of renewables to be transmitted to the Houston area and the DFW area is what I am understanding.

Note: even if you could have transmitted all the available renewables it would not have been enough to off set the demand and load shed would have still happened.

Rwc
    I caught the tail end of a report stating that they provided 3% during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      I caught the tail end of a report stating that they provided 3% during that time.
      It was on the Michael Berry show one evening....I'll see if I can find it.

I don't always quote myself......but when I do....I quote myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        Wind and solar should not be part of the minimal supply calculations. They aren’t reliable enough.
        And they are not even economical without tax subsidies.
        Natural gas is clean, cheap and plentiful to produce electricity. And it creates jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
          As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If it’s low we ain’t making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if it’s for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else that’s all propaganda...
          If they are part of the electrical grid they had something to do with the blackouts. From what i have read, wind turbines had a significantly higher failure rate than other type of power plants.

Comment

My question is, how much money has the average Griddy customer save over the last few years? They have saved a lot and now they have to repay some of it. They signed up for a variable rate. You have to take the good with the bad.
            I'm sure some of them were bragging about all the money the were saving.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              But I get screamed at for selling a 223 round I paid 50 cents for to someone for $1

How the crap is this not price gouging? And pretty sure electricity is a need and not a want.
              There’s not a store or a website someone goes to, to purchase megawatt contracts. This is done on the daily’s desk, where I used to broker ERCOT power. Generators and buyers (or owners of said contracts) go into the market place to buy and or sell these contracts. Some folks didn’t prepare for a 100 year event and got low on power, then went to the daily market and it ran up significantly. Those “WITH” the commodity set the price, you either buy it or you run out. Its capitalism and that’s how it works with corn, gasoline, water, hay or whatever it is you’re selling. What sucks, is that these “electricity wholesalers” get away with their screw ups and are being allowed to pass it on to the consumer. I bet they didn’t share the profits they made!!

Comment

I received an email from my provider saying my rate will stay the same as I signed up for I guess they have made enough off of me that they can afford to absorb some of the extra cost.

Comment

Grayson County electric said their rates won't change

Comment

Varible rates have killed people this past month. sign up for a long term fixed rate and maybe pay a little more in the long run but will not be subject to multiple thousand dollar electric bills for his past storm.

Comment

Back in the HL&P day everything was over built, better then anywhere in the United States. Along comes De-regulation and poof look what we have.

Comment

Back in the HL&P day everything was over built, better then anywhere in the United States. Along comes De-regulation and poof look what we have.

Comment

The finger pointing will go on and on. In my opinion it's a money issue. Ultra-influential rich and the politician’s money games. Renewables are needed and have a place, but the big push is filling someone's pockets and other players suffer. I have attended several black start training classes and leave every time thinking boy that would be a mess. It’s my understanding it was very close to being that mess for the whole state. From my training I’d say it would be months before it would of been back normal. I can tell you every System Operator, Transmission and Delivery groups and Power plant operators across Texas did everything in their power to keep things up and running. Texas power industry has not been built for that type of weather for that long of period. Bottom line is it happened, and it needs to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                            I was a dummy and didn’t pay attention to what was going to happen during this storm, I’ve been on a variable plan for years and have had cheap elec bills till now. Here is my current bill with Griddy. We’ve switched, just waiting for it to take affect......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Man, that sucks.
                            Learned my lesson with Griddy in summer of 2019. Couldn't switch fast enough when it happened. Can't remember what Bill was exactly but it was 600-800 over just a few says.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Was that $600 to $800 an average bill? Was it ever cheap?

Comment

We use:

Sign up now, and we'll find the best Texas electricity rates for you. Lower your electricity bill by up to 40% while Energy Ogre manages your account.

For $100.00 a year they take the responsibilty to find you a 6 month or 1 year contract that is cheep.
                                Just sit back and let them research providers. Think my bill this month is $250.00...............

Comment

Working...
                                X