Plumbing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing question

House built in 1990. All copper. I want to add a water line to my garage. All spigots look like this. Is that female part that the spigot threads into soldered on, is it a solid piece that extends into the house and is soldered on there, or is it some kind of compression fitting. My idea is to thread off spigot, install a T to tie in my water line, then install new spigot. I just don’t want to break apart that fitting if it’s some 30yr old compression fitting that will never seal back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a solder female adapter with a male hose bib

Comment

I’m pretty sure it’s compression, judging by the fine threads on the hose bib. Get a 1/2” pipe thread (something with 1/2 pipe threads) hold by and if threads are finer, it will be comparison if the same then it’s a normal pipe thread. If it’s compression it’s easy enough to cut off and solder a tee on to it and run your pipe.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Probably will screw off. Look like a compression fitting slipped over the copper pipe extending from the wall.

Comment

Compression would be my guess as well judging by the pic

Comment

I had male threads out of the wall, but same otherwise. Took some soaking in a vinegar rag, some cussing and some praying but it finally came off. Installed a T as you say and ran water to my workshop. Looks like enough copper pipe out of the wall to cut it off and add a shark bite fitting. Sand off some of that brick mortar.

Comment

Looks like compression fitting to me as well, that would never fly up here ( never pass code) you guys obviously don’t have freezing temps ? Here you have to have the connection inside the building with a faucet that will drain the water out of the line, so it don’t burst.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                Probably will screw off. Look like a compression fitting slipped over the copper pipe extending from the wall.

Originally posted by RLhunter View Post
                I’m pretty sure it’s compression, judging by the fine threads on the hose bib. Get a 1/2” pipe thread (something with 1/2 pipe threads) hold by and if threads are finer, it will be comparison if the same then it’s a normal pipe thread. If it’s compression it’s easy enough to cut off and solder a tee on to it and run your pipe.
                Hope this helps.

Originally posted by East6101 View Post
                Compression would be my guess as well judging by the pic

Ok o broke it loose and sure enough it’s compression. What’s gonna be my best way to do this. I can’t solder and I don’t feel safe using shark bite.

Comment

They make 1/2" compression tees if you want to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                    They make 1/2" compression tees if you want to go that route.
                    ^^^ Thread a T into the fitting. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Comment

Can I solder with a propane torch if so I might buy the fitting and try it

Comment

Yes you can solder with propane torch. Don’t egg the pie when cutting, clean really good with emery cloth both fitting and pipe, use plumbers soldering paste and plumbers lead free solder. Don’t use acid core solder !!! That’s for electronic soldering. Heat (not a real high flame) the fitting and the pipe all the way around a little more on bottom as heat rises, keep touching the solder to the top of the fitting where it meets the pipe. When it is hot enough the solder will suck into the fitting. Quickly remove heat and add solder as it cools. You could use tee, 90* elbow, or a female adt to fitting your needs. PM me if you want me to talk you through the process.
                        Good luck

Comment

That is something I have never done. I solder a ton of wires, but never pipes. And now everything is pex.

Comment

I bet you can handle the soldering.
                            Most of the fittings are cheap, buy a few and a length of tubing to practice on.
                            Or watch a couple of youtubes and give it a go.
                            You can always heat it up and pull the mistake off.

Comment

Working...
                            X