Generators - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slayer -

PM me, we can sit down and discuss this one evening. You're close by, so it'd be easy to accommodate.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      You asked about brands of generators. I have had a harbor freight 9000 watt generator for about 5 years with no problems. It will run 2 iceboxes,2 freezers limiter lights around the house, a TV and my 2 ton central a/c unit on the master bedroom side of the house. I’ve been very happy with its performance. It ran 8 days straight after hurricane Laura.

I read the Harbor Freight generators are copies of a Honda design and built in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can swing it buy yourself a natural gas whole home generator that big enough to run your AC and do the auto transfer switch. I have a fancy Honda and it’s a pain getting it out and putting it on the side of the house and plugging everything in and getting it going. Works Great, but I told my wife the other day I want to sell it and get a natural gas whole home generator.

Comment

Sorry guys, just came back to this thread. I bought a GENERAC that is big enough to pretty much run my whole house, minus Central Air, Stove & Pool. I had one of my electrician friends wire up central plug and breaker. Now I have a sequence to run my house when the storms come thru in March/April. Rubberdown, I looked into the whole house natural gas generators, it gets very expensive quickly. We were looking at the 12K range. I spent less than a 1K and do everything I need it to do. Thanks again for all of your help!

Comment

We bought an Industrial MKD (or something like that) for around $2K. We have a 2200+ sf home with 2 AC/s. We had a plug put in to back feed the panel and we only have to turn off the main in from the pole, start the gen, plug it in, and then can run everything in the home including the 2 AC's with the only exception being the oven and the dryer. Only one of those can be on at a time. But EVERYTHING else can be on all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              Sorry guys, just came back to this thread. I bought a GENERAC that is big enough to pretty much run my whole house, minus Central Air, Stove & Pool. I had one of my electrician friends wire up central plug and breaker. Now I have a sequence to run my house when the storms come thru in March/April. Rubberdown, I looked into the whole house natural gas generators, it gets very expensive quickly. We were looking at the 12K range. I spent less than a 1K and do everything I need it to do. Thanks again for all of your help!

Scott I installed a 22KW propane powered generator with an auto transfer switch on my new house for around $5k. I installed myself but it was new construction so that was probably cheaper. I run 40 circuits on mine including 1 AC unit, fireplace blowers, water well, septic system, 3 refrigerators/freezers, microwave, all lights in the house and shop, several plugs in the house. We can easily be comfortable for as long as 200 gallons of propane lasts if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Interesting thread

Comment

I am looking at powering my off-grid cabin w/ a new 7500W Generac. I like the idea of having a propane generator run off my 500 gallon propane tank.

I will probably rig up a 310W solar panel and battery station as the main source of power. Summertime - i would rely on the Generac to power the 2 mini-splits.

Anyone think going w/ the 7500W generac for a power source is a bad move?

Comment

Working...
                  X