first rifle suggestions for a tyke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first rifle suggestions for a tyke

Finally got mom on board with Santa bringing the boy his first real firearm...something in 22 cal that he can learn firearm safety, do some target shooting and hopefully graduate to some squirel hunting soon.

I was looking for some reasonably priced options that weren't single shot models but not necessarily a dollar general model either...if anyone has gone through this recently with their little one or can lend some suggestions to save me doing so much research itd be appreciated....thanks

Not a single shot, but the 10-22 he'll use his whole life. It's not like you're going to send him outside with a single shot by himself on the 26th.

Comment

Every person should own a 10/22 and only one mod is a must

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
        Not a single shot, but the 10-22 he'll use his whole life. It's not like you're going to send him outside with a single shot by himself on the 26th.
        Thats what I was saying.....NOT- looking for single shot models....this is very much what I was thinking ....I actually had a lever action 22 cal rifle when I was younger and thought it was nifty and still do.....

Comment

3rd the 10/22. My brother and I got matching ones for our birthdays this year and love them. Mod them up to it's cheap and easy.

Comment

Get an older, wood stocked one if you can find one. Cut the stock to fit him. Then a Boyd's stock when he's big enough.

Comment

I am not a huge fan of a semi auto for a first rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                I am not a huge fan of a semi auto for a first rifle.
                Yep.

My first rifle was a Winchester 9422 lever action. Great thing about it is it will also shoot shorts and CB caps.

I got my son a Savage bolt action for his first rifle. He killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with it.

Comment

Bolt action repeater instead of an semi auto

Comment

Just one round in the 10/22 mag at a time and you have a single shot

Comment

Define "tyke"?

To me that is a 3yo and I would go with Chipmunk or comparable.

Would not be a bad idea to grab a 10/22 now either, may not be able to get them in the not so distant future the way things are going

Comment

They make small stocks for the 10/22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

10-22

Comment

My first gun at age 10 was a Rem 1100 12 gauge auto shotgun
                            Let’s just say I got knocked down a time or two

Comment

Keystone Arms 722 is what we went with for my son 7 shot bolt gun made by the same company that makes the cricket.

Great rifle

Comment

Working...
                              X