DIY camper/bunk house trailer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY camper/bunk house trailer ?

My boys and I are wanting to build a camper/bunk house trailer to stay have a place to get out of the elements and sleep in. I've searched quite a bit and haven't seen what I'm trying to accomplish. The in-laws have a 5th wheel we typically camp in, but for those overnight fishing/hunting trips without accommodations a towable trailer with sleeping quarters would be nice. I'm getting too old to sleep in a tent or in the truck; I like to lay down at the end of a long day.
    I'm trying to do this on a "poor boy" budget. We already have the trailer frame and some materials we can use. Thinking about something like 12-14' long x 8'-8.5' wide.
    Sometime we have power, sometime no. That being said, I'd like to be able to plug in like a typical RV, power up with a generator if needed and possibly solar if need be.
    I've seen some ideas on the green screen that are very thought provoking. I'd like to "repurpose" any available materials I have at our disposal, like used tin/siding, metal, lumber, fixtures, etc. Give it that used, but functional feel.
    I'd like to wire it up with lights, air conditioning, microwave/hot plate. I don't want to get too carried away. It'll be mainly for sleeping accommodations due to the limited size of the trailer frame we have to work with.
    Let's see what you got. Please send me any ideas and/or links you may have. Pictures of any ideas, works in progress and completed projects is greatly appreciated.

Bigger and more than you were referring to, but along the same lines....

Comment

I would consider getting your hands an a camper inverter and running everything you can on 12v that way you can switch from shore power to Solar. For heating just throw a CO detector and run a Mr Buddy heater. If you will go by you local lumber stores you can usually get there HardiPlank pallets for free. They are 12’ long so you can pop the slats off and have lumber that’s long enough for actual use. You might check scrap yards to snag the inverter and maybe even an AC off an old camper.

Be careful on costs they can add up quick unless you just want the fun of building from scratch. (I can relate) You may be better off finding an older camper and building from there. I picked up a 2005 23’ outback for $1500 gutted walls and floor and fixed a roof leak. All said and one I had less than $2500 in it and it never missed a beat
      Last edited by Uncle_Milty; 12-11-2020, 02:57 PM. Reason: Add more info

Comment

I built what you are looking for. I made a cabin that would slide onto my 12 ft flat bed. Two beds ,a table and cooking area. Just right for me and my son.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
          I built what you are looking for. I made a cabin that would slide onto my 12 ft flat bed. Two beds ,a table and cooking area. Just right for me and my son.
          This is the way to do it. Mini cabin on skids

Comment

teamron do you have any pics of your set up?
            Archery Addict I've been watching that build as well. Pretty neat set up.
            Mbbriggs05, I've thought about purchasing a fixer upper camper trailer. Some of the ones I've come across are doable, others are pretty rough.
            We're searching for ideas. Please post some pictures of anything y'all may come across.
            Thanks.

Comment

No sir I do not, sold it when moved leases. Fella there really thought it was neat I guess and I'm almost everything is for sale guy. But this I can tell you, It was 7ft wide 13 1/2ft long and 7ft tall. Weird demensions but the lumber and siding was almost all scrap. Basically built it like a big old deer blind and insulated it and made a frame out 3" angle and welded it to a couple pieces of drill stem like a sled and bolted it on. You could pull it around camp with a tractor if need be. I ran a couple 120v plugs on the inside with conduit. then basicly used my imagination on a bed and window unit. Also it had a flat roof. I used flat metal from Prime, just buy the metal right off the roll. Wish I had some pics but it didn't have an arrow in it, also check out youtube and pintrest. Good project

teamron

Comment

Working...
              X