2020 Official Astros - Off Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    That sounds like they just wanted a steady hand at the wheel, while they groom someone for next year, or buy time to find the long term guy. I can't see that club not employing extreme shifts, and analytical strategy.
    Most likely but if thats the case..why not espada as interim.

Comment

I like the choice if it bears true... very few people (especially those managing) have succeeded through more trying times than Baker has

I think he may be just what they need to get them through the trials that have yet to begin for the team and individuals

Good read about Dusty;

Comment

..cant win post season is tattooed on his neck.

Comment

Interesting... the Senior VP of Baseball Operations with MLB..is a "candidate" for the astros gm job...

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            Most likely but if thats the case..why not espada as interim.
            Face saving, and experience. Dusty is a very experienced, old school baseball man, who is HIGHLY respected around the game. He will know how to handle a lot of the odd issues they will face on the road due to the cheating scandal.

Comment

Face saving, and experience. Dusty is a very experienced, old school baseball man, who is HIGHLY respected around the game. He will know how to handle a lot of the odd issues they will face on the road due to the cheating scandal.
              ..cant win in post season

Comment

Maybe the plan is give him a xbox comtroller, RBI 2019.. and let him play with that in the dugout and let the boys get him a ring.
                That makes sense.

Comment

..cant win in post season
                  That's a throw away line for talking heads, can Espada win in the post season? The fact that we know Baker's resume in the post season isn't great, proves he's adept at getting them there, that's what they need to worry about for now. He knows the National League game as well as anyone. At some point the players have to play, and I bet his players weren't as good as the ones that beat them.

Comment

^^ this

Comment

That's a throw away line for talking heads, can Espada win in the post season? The fact that we know Baker's resume in the post season isn't great, proves he's adept at getting them there, that's what they need to worry about for now. He knows the National League game as well as anyone. At some point the players have to play, and I bet his players weren't as good as the ones that beat them.
                      Not a "throw away line" if its a "fact".

Might be some truth to the second part of your post though.

Time will tell.. hell..its not even official yet

Comment

Interesting... the Senior VP of Baseball Operations with MLB..is a "candidate" for the astros gm job...
                        She was a candidate during the search that found Luhnow. If I remember correctly at the time, she was a hotter GM candidate than Luhnow and possibly withdrew her name from contention as the GM spot for a horrible team with a barren minor league system and a highly leveraged owner was not something that the hot names of the day were pining for.

Comment

That sounds like they just wanted a steady hand at the wheel, while they groom someone for next year, or buy time to find the long term guy. I can't see that club not employing extreme shifts, and analytical strategy.
                          This is what I’m hoping
                          This^^^

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                            She was a candidate during the search that found Luhnow. If I remember correctly at the time, she was a hotter GM candidate than Luhnow and possibly withdrew her name from contention as the GM spot for a horrible team with a barren minor league system and a highly leveraged owner was not something that the hot names of the day were pining for.
                            She? Her name is peter Woodfork?

Comment

Not a "throw away line" if its a "fact".
                              It's not a fact.

"He hasn't won in the post season" is a fact...and that fact is dependent on about 2 million factors outside his control.

"He can't win in the post season" is a throwaway line, based on opinion.

Comment

If Baker is willing to embrace analytics and the Astros system of doing things and isn't bound too tightly to tradition in regards to bullpen usage and defensive shifts, he is a very good candidate.

The one thing that worries me about Baker (even above bullpen usage, shifting, and analytics) is his reputation for running up pitch counts on his starters. The Astros need to come up with a system that allows Greinke, Verlander and McCullers to be healthy and reasonably rested coming in to the post season for them to have some chance at beating the Yankees.

Comment

Working...
                                X