Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mcaap - October segment

Anyone else get drawn?

I got drawn in 2020 but due to the China virus they did a 50% reduction and now I get to hunt this year.

I hunt public exclusively but was wondering if anyone has hunted the Boggy unit? I’ll be bringing a saddle but I keep wondering what the trees are like, and it’s hard to tell from a satellite.

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
    Anyone else get drawn?

I got drawn in 2020 but due to the China virus they did a 50% reduction and now I get to hunt this year.

I hunt public exclusively but was wondering if anyone has hunted the Boggy unit? I’ll be bringing a saddle but I keep wondering what the trees are like, and it’s hard to tell from a satellite.
    Tree diversity will vary greatly depending upon what part of Boggy your in. The east side of the lake is nearly all oak hardwoods and the southern portion is a little more broken up with more open ground/cuts & draws with taller tree mainly being in the bigger pockets timber. If your running a saddle, you should be good to go wherever you decide to put your pin.

Hopefully your hunt is towards the latter part of the month. Those first couple hunts there in October are usually HOT!

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
      Tree diversity will vary greatly depending upon what part of Boggy your in. The east side of the lake is nearly all oak hardwoods and the southern portion is a little more broken up with more open ground/cuts & draws with taller tree mainly being in the bigger pockets timber. If your running a saddle, you should be good to go wherever you decide to put your pin.

Hopefully your hunt is towards the latter part of the month. Those first couple hunts there in October are usually HOT!

Oct. 22-24th, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a front but I’m not counting on it.

Do you know by chance if they assign you to a certain portion of a unit or do they just drive you out there and turn you loose in your specific area?

I know the rules and regs are pretty strict out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        Oct. 22-24th, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a front but I’m not counting on it.

Do you know by chance if they assign you to a certain portion of a unit or do they just drive you out there and turn you loose in your specific area?

I know the rules and regs are pretty strict out there.
        They will let you place you "pin" on the spot you want to hunt and then show you where to park. MOst will hunt within a reasonable distance from their parking spot but nothing says you have to. Last time we hunted we walked about 3 miles one way to the tree I hunted in. As long as you stay in your unit and dont drive after they show you where to park you can walk til your heart is content.

Comment

Good luck Kirby you will be there the same time I will but we will be in Hominy this year. Its been a long time since I hunted Boggy but Medicineman7 describes it very well. Like sweetnlow said you can put your pin anywhere on the map. You just have to park there but you can hunt anywhere in the segment you want to go. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Comment

Working...
          X