Question - 300 Blackout with Suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sighting in my 300 Blackout today. At 100 yards I hit bullseye 2 out of 3 times without the suppressor installed. When I installed my suppressor, I didn't hit paper in 8 shots. Any thoughts on what is happening.

Point of impact with a can on versus off can dramatically change. It doesn’t always but it generally does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, poi change

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        Point of impact with a can on versus off can dramatically change. It doesn’t always but it generally does.

You’re right about it being POI shift. That said any quality can and mounting system should have minimal, if any, POI shift. The exception being a heavier quality can on light profile weight barrels.

Comment

Shouldn’t move that much. Check to see if you’re getting any baffle strikes.

You may see a few inches of POI shift with a heavy can. But to not hit paper tells me something more is going on.

What can? What barrel? Did you check clearance and verify the threads are concentric with the bore?

Comment

You just hung a bunch of weight off the end of your barrel, that’s going to effect POI

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Shouldn’t move that much. Check to see if you’re getting any baffle strikes.
              Are baffle strikes so subtle that you wouldn’t be able to hear them? Something like that would be blatantly obvious, right?

Comment

SilcencerCo Saker on a 300 BO with a 16inch barrel... shooting Barnes 120grains.

Comment

no baffle strike

Comment

I have a YHM, titanium QD that I run on my 6.5.

It shoots .5moa with the can.

Take it off, and it shoots 6inchs low, with a .5 group.

Thats the worst POI I have on any host/can combo. The other cans and host are bout a 2 inch POI shift.. so yes, it can change dramatically I'm some cases. To me a 6 inch POI is dramatic

Comment

So just for reference, this is my Remmy 308 with my F1 can.
                      First 5 shots, scope adjusted for shots #6 and #7. All unsuppressed.

I added the can and fired 5 more rounds and ended up with this. POI shift was 1MOA with the can on.

Some cans can produce greater POI shift while others produce less. My understanding is that a double clipped cup produces less POI shift but suppresses less than a single clipped cup. A single clipped cup will increase suppression at the expense of greater POI shift. Now the level of suppression between single and double can only be measured with a meter but the amount of POI shift can clearly be seen on paper. The cups in my F1 can btw are double clipped and still remains completely hearing safe even when fired under a tin roof.

Comment

In addition to what's been mentioned above, my suppressors increase the velocity and that can change the point of impact. They also shoot tighter groups with the suppressors.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmoon View Post
                          SilcencerCo Saker on a 300 BO with a 16inch barrel... shooting Barnes 120grains.
                          I’m assuming ASR mount? If so while it’s not exactly typical it’s not exactly rare either. I like the Saker a lot, but the ASR is kinda horrible IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                            Are baffle strikes so subtle that you wouldn’t be able to hear them? Something like that would be blatantly obvious, right?
                            Can be yes. Look for marks just inside the hole on the end. A slight graze is all it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmoon View Post
                              no baffle strike
                              Have you checked proper alignment? It doesn’t take much. Really curious what else it could be. That’s a huge shift.

Comment

Working...
                              X