Trolling motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trolling motors

Need some education here as I just bought a fishing pontoon and want to add a new trolling motor. Went striper fishing with a guide last week and of course he had thousands in his electronics. He’d set the trolling motor on a heading at a given speed while we trolled baits off the back of the boat. I’d like that capability but won’t have the huge sonar display he was using to control things. Is there one with a phone app? I suck at using the foot control on my buddy’s boat btw. I’d like something that will just go without me having to keep the “throttle” down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The minn kota ulterra and terrova will do that and you can run them with a remote. I use the remote and not a foot pedal. The best thing for me is I can run it from anywhere in the boat and the spotlock feature is great.

Comment

Minn kota I-Pilot. My Terrova does spot lock, heading lock, and it will record a track and repeat it. Best thing Invented for fishing since the hook.If you want it to connect with your electronics get the I-pilot link.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Minn Kota Ultrex has been a welcomed upgrade to my rig. The i-Pilot app can be used to control some functions / features but the stand alone remote is best.

Controls on iPhone...

Comment

Ultrex will do everything you wanna do!

Comment

If you want it to read/communicate with your fishfinder you'll need the i-pilot link(minnkota) or i-pilot(motorguide). Minnkota reads/works with hummingbird fishfinders. If you have a lowrance FF-go with motorguide Xi5 or Xi3 trolleying motor for running contours and spotlock.

Comment

Ultrex with iPilot

Comment

I have the Ultrex linked to my Humming bird. You can side scan and see a school of fish or some structure you want to fish and then mark a waypoint on it then tell the trolling motor to go to that spot. It's great for crappie fishing. Spot lock on under water brush piles that nobody can tie up to is nice.

Comment

If you don't like the pedal don't spend the $ on a ultrex.

You can find a good terrova or xi5 (even used). What size is the pontoon and do you have graphs you want to network with?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    If you don't like the pedal don't spend the $ on a ultrex.

You can find a good terrova or xi5 (even used). What size is the pontoon and do you have graphs you want to network with?
                    I agree but the ultrex has remote and foot pedal so if he ever needed the foot pedal he would have it. I wouldn't want a trolling motor with just a remote to rely on

Comment

It's just a 20 foot pontoon with fishing seats fore and aft. Currently has a Garmin 160C fish finder and an old saltwater trolling motor that I did not test.

I'm seeing these new models have sonar on them so were does that display? Is it wireless to your fish finder? Sounds like I probably need to invest in a new fish finder at the same time. What I think I want to do is be able to sit in my helm chair or rear fishing seat where I can see the display while trolling off the back.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        I agree but the ultrex has remote and foot pedal so if he ever needed the foot pedal he would have it. I wouldn't want a trolling motor with just a remote to rely on
                        Terrova and xi5 both have pedal options. They are not the cable steer kind which some people are used to.

The xi5 pedal is actually wireless which some people love. I think terrova pedal is wired but has 20 ft length. Agree my post may have confused the op. Your point on pedal is fair though.

Comment

Any thing with I-pilot and Bluetooth.

Minn Kota has a phone app that you can download and control your troller with if it has Bluetooth. It's great because if something should happen to your foot pedal or remote controller, like dropping it overboard, you'll still have your cell to run it. You can also get a keyfob remote that is smaller than the standard remote. It doesn't have as many functions. But is easier to hold and weighs less if your carrying it.

I've got a Terrova with Bluetooth, remote, and a pedal. I've also got the app and it works just as good as any of the others. I spend more time with the pedal simply because I sometimes forget to put the controller in the boat before I go.

I do like steering from the back. But still have to manually deploy the troller. If MK would make a 55lb thrust Ulterra, I'd own one. I don't simply because I'm trying to keep the carrying weight down by not having another battery. But that might change soon because there are several 24V lithiums on the market now. And a few 36V. I just got my first lithium a couple of weeks ago. And used it last Sunday.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Forgot to add, a wireless pedal can be added as well.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

My boat does have 2 batteries. Have not looked at them but and certain they are not lithium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X