Non aggressive bull turns into aggressive bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non aggressive bull turns into aggressive bull

A friend paid a lot of money for his registered bulls. They all had been well tempered and easy to deal with. I’ve worked with them a lot just by myself and haven’t had any issues. One of the nicest looking of the bunch didn’t want to be separated from the cows after he’d serviced them. So instead of being easy on him, two of the hands decide to play aggressive cowboy on four wheelers. It was painful to watch. They plum had no patience at all and kept at it aggressively. That bull wasn’t giving up. Surprisingly nobody got hurt and the bull didn’t collapse. I opened a couple of north gates and let them push the bull with a small number of cows into a smaller pasture. From there we got him separated.

The problem with how aggressively they ran the bull continuously, he now has become quite dangerous when approached by four wheelers or side by sides. I nearly learned this the hard way when a week or two later I drove towards the bull to take his photo while he was laying down. He very quickly became angry at the sight of the side by side. There was zero bluff and he didn’t budge one bit. Some bulls are just the way they are regardless but prior to the guys on four wheelers being so rough with him, he never once showed any aggression. I fed him daily in the feed troughs without issue.
    Last edited by TexasHayBaler; 02-26-2021, 05:36 PM.

Start carrying a bag of cubes on the 4 wheeler and when you go out drop a few piles to where he can see you. He will settle down again after a few weeks. Continue to do this every so often. Cubes are like crack. He will probably settle down again.

Comment

I’ve worked, sold and been around bulls my entire life. Bulls are bulls... that’s the only thing certain

I’ve seen bulls you could let a child ride, then breed his first heifer and he would fight a train. Sometimes calm don’t work, (no idea on this situation I wasn’t there) but if your gonna go full bore... stay in it. You get him wound up then call it quits, it’s just an aggravating game then. There is nothing short of a bullet that will stop one when he’s determined to win either. So if your unsure about him not... get rid of him ASAP! He won’t get better

Comment

Originally posted by CWaller30 View Post
        Start carrying a bag of cubes on the 4 wheeler and when you go out drop a few piles to where he can see you. He will settle down again after a few weeks. Continue to do this every so often. Cubes are like crack. He will probably settle down again.
        I was about to suggest this but you beat me to it. Clearly, you’re very intelligent!

I’ve noticed that bulls, unlike cows, can be a little more “standoffish” when you drop cubes, but they all eventually come around. I suspect this has to do with the fact that the drive to reproduce is stronger for bulls than the need to eat. Once all your cows are bred, though, this changes.

Comment

A hand tame bull is one or the most dangerous animals on the continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            A hand tame bull is one or the most dangerous animals on the continent.
            Absolutely and a cow is not far behind. Either will kill you for that sack of cubes! Nearly any animal, not all, separated from their herd will become aggressive when put in a pen by themselves.
            Last edited by doghouse; 02-26-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Best way to ruin a bunch of tame cattle is for some Cowboys to stir them up and make them wild. I would try the cubes but be weary if he continues to act bad get rid of him. My uncle was killed by a mean brahma cow and I if I have one that acts crazy no matter how good of cow she is she becomes hamburger.

Comment

Bulls are like teenage boys, get them wound up around the ladies and the fight is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  I’ve worked, sold and been around bulls my entire life. Bulls are bulls... that’s the only thing certain

I’ve seen bulls you could let a child ride, then breed his first heifer and he would fight a train. Sometimes calm don’t work, (no idea on this situation I wasn’t there) but if your gonna go full bore... stay in it. You get him wound up then call it quits, it’s just an aggravating game then. There is nothing short of a bullet that will stop one when he’s determined to win either. So if your unsure about him not... get rid of him ASAP! He won’t get better
                  Right on. I had a bull that became aggressive for no apparent reason and I nearly 30-06'd him. After a long time trying to calm him down I sold that bull. I would ride in the the pasture with my Chevy 3500 and that SOB would actually rock my truck. I hope I've eaten him.

Comment

Sell him as fast as you can. You are aware of the problem but your kids or friends may be in the pasture on a joy ride to see the cattle and it will be an unfortunate outcome. I've had bulls like this. They don't forget.

Comment

A bottle raised pet bull orphan almost killed my buddy after I warned him that his screw had come undone running with wild cows,I told him I would tranq him and get him loaded and gone. After the attack and near death experience, I drove him to the hospital then returned in the morning with my workers to kill him, they asked me which animal do we shoot? “ the bull that rams the truck” Oliver turned into a killer. His eyes were gouged from the fight and he hung up in the brush all day, then just when we gave up he came out and attacked the F 250, he took a beating as the men opened fire with buckshot, first volley he absorbed, circled and rammed the truck a second time and one pierced his heart

Comment

All bulls will be bulls at some point in time, but, have any of you ever encountered a Jersey mama cow?!?!?!?
                        Now that’s a death sentence!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I forgot to add when you take him to the auction, tell them he needs to be sold as a packer bull only. You don't want someone to buy this bull and take him home and maybe get killed or a family member get hurt or worse. If you just run him through the ring with his breeding and confirmation, someone will buy him thinking they got a good deal. He needs to go to hamburger hill.

Comment

I had a lease several years ago outside of Hallettsville. The old bull was sweet as honey. But those Momma cows were crazy.

I took a friend of a friend out on his first hunt. He was worried about the cows. I kept telling him not to worry and blew it off. Sure enough, on the way out of the blind that morning, walking through a thicket, we got in between a Momma and a calf. Even though I could see the situation starting to develop. That dumb calf did everything wrong. And we couldn’t get out the way. No way to avoid it. It took Momma about 5 seconds to realize we were in between her and her baby. She let out a couple growls and charged. We were only about 50 yards from my truck so my buddy takes off, ended up setting a new land speed record and jumped in the back of the truck.

That left me, stuck behind a tree playing hide and seek with Momma until she got tired of it, fetched her calf and left.

Comment

Never turn your back and always have a way out and he should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X