10 point cull that wasn't . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 point cull that wasn't . . .

I took a friend to Llano last week who wanted to shoot "a deer for the freezer." Turns out he didn't want to shoot a doe or an old buck for the freezer. He wanted to shoot a buck for the wall. Strange how that happens once you get in a bind. Had an old ten come in that I wouldn't mind seeing go as he has been on a slide the last couple years. This was the first time I had taken my friend out to deer hunt as he had only killed pigs before out there.

Gave him the green light and he said, "Uhm, that deer isn't old enough." This is after he repeatedly wanted to shoot 4 year olds that were wider and arguably "better" deer. I asked him how old he thought this buck was and he stated, "I bet he is only 3.5--I mean, he is barely outside his ears." I said, "We better let him walk then." :-). Later a nice 4 year old 8 came out that got him excited. Haaa. I told him definitively that that deer was indeed too young. He was truly puzzled.

I guess I need to learn to age deer more by their antlers and not their bodies. Oh well, at least there was no heavy lifting involved.
    Attached Files

Dude I would have dropped him in a minute!! Especially if I was a guest somewhere and got a green light!!

But I probably wouldn't have got to see it, if I asked for a meat hunt---There probably already been a doe on the ground before he ever thought about showing up!!

Comment

Some people suck. Another reason I don’t bring guests

Comment

That would be the last trip out he took with me

Comment

He would have lost me at deer for the freezer when he changed his mind at my lease and told me he needed to kill one for the wall.

Comment

Thats a funny story. It's amazing how people's priorities change once a deer steps out in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              He would have lost me at deer for the freezer when he changed his mind at my lease and told me he needed to kill one for the wall.
              Indeed. He will be shooting pigs from here on. He never stated he wanted one for the wall, but it was clear. Didn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out--Larry Holmes could. Irwin M. Fletcher.

Comment

This needs to be in the guest horror stories thread.

Comment

I’ve had some guest like that. Lol

I refuse to cave on any deer for anyone really that isn’t mature. I won’t myself shoot a deer just to shoot a deer and I dang sure won’t let guest shoot a deer, just so they can shoot something. They want meat, they can kill a doe, other than that it’s mature only regardless of where I’m hunting. A first deer would be the only way I would make an exception, and I still wouldn’t let them shoot just anything.

People use the term cull, or management deer way too heavily as an excuse to just kill a deer. Some guest magnify it even more.

I can go a season or even more if the right opportunity doesn’t present itself without killing a buck, so I will hold my guest to this also. I give them every opportunity to kill a a doe for meat if the right buck doesn’t come in. I really fill out my guest on what they’re intentions are before I take someone hunting with me, so it’s usually always been a great experience taking someone.

Comment

Ive got friends that I would not let do something like that, then Ive got good friends who have done a lot for me and know when to errrr how do you say...come knockin for a favor.
                    For me that is a friend by friend basis situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      That would be the last trip out he took with me
                      Me too, tell him he can have all the hog meat he wants but not gonna tell me which deer he’s gonna shoot.

Comment

If you are still needing someone to cull that deer I am available

Comment

Even if he killed it, you would have been the one gutting, skinning, and quartering it. Prolly would tried to talk you into paying for the processing as well.

Comment

That's a beautiful and full mature ten. If you ever let him hog hunt again you better be in the stand with him . If you dont, there will be a deer walk out that is a perfect candidate.

Comment

That was a great 10 for anyone to shoot. I don’t know that he’d even be shooting pigs at our place after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X