AR buffer bumper failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR buffer bumper failure

Got in a group of hogs the other night and had a jam.

Got to the house and tore the gun apart. Found chunks of plastic/rubber all in the buffer spring and the buffer weight bumper looked like this.

For the AR gurus out there, what caused this?
    It’s a 10.5” 7.62x39 upper that is shot suppressed 100% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biden’s Pistol Brace Executive order?

Comment

Larger calibers and pistol length gas are hard on AR's. My .458 Socom pushed the bumper inside the tube it was slamming so hard with a standard buffer. If your not already I would run a heavier buffer. I'm running a H3 and it works fine with all my uppers. I also stepped up to a heavier spring. If your still having issues you may need an adjustable gas block.

What direction is it flinging the brass?

Comment

What are the chances you let some cleaning solvent sit in there?

Comment

I’ve had a cheap buffer self destruct. I assumed it was the combo of me shooting it overgassed with a suppressor and the cheaply made buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            What are the chances you let some cleaning solvent sit in there?
            I’d say the probability is fairly high..... I was thinking that stuff might have ate the rubber up

Comment

if the gun kicks bad .. you're overgassed .. if it doesn't you got a cheap crappy buffer.

if you get a lot of gas in the face, an adjustable gas block is a better solution than a heavier buffer.

not all cans are created equal .. some have massive back pressure. shoot it without the can , if it cycles and kicks less you got some decisions to make ..

Comment

one last thing .. russian ammo is dirty , the less gets in the chamber the better .. and if you swap lowers to other uppers , changing the buffer may cause other uppers not to work on that lower ... i fine tune my uppers to work on all my lowers... only time i'll go with a different buffer is on a dedicated gun i shoot unsuppressed allot and just suppressed once in a while... and the shorter the barrel the more finicky it's gonna be... rifle length gas systems are the softest shooting ... good luck

Comment

Working...
                X